Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I'm buying a Ford F150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read that buying a new vehicle through costco is very straightforward and low stress.

Extremely low stress. I cut a deal for my mother-in-law through a Costco dealer. A Civic. Excellent price. I warned them that if they did not deliver on their promises that they would have a middle aged overweight women broken down in tears in their showroom. They delivered! She cries every time I tell her I love her, which is often.

My saga continues...

So I basically talked myself up to their highest-end model (Platinum). So I basically had one requirement going into the dealer - give me your heaviest duty, top of the line F150 - any color interior or exterior.

Simple, right?

Actually... no, they don't make such a model. If you want the front-paged advertised Heavy Duty model (12'200 lbs, 3'300 lbs), you don't get to have the Platinum features. They only make heavy duty in the mid-range models (Lariat).

Ok, whatever. So just give me one Lariat Heavy Duty. Basically, just give me the advertised thing on the F150 front page. Uhhh... No, sorry, there is not a single dealer in the country that has one of those. If you want one, you have to order and wait 10 weeks. Not that I have a problem with that but I want to feel the steering and make sure the engine isn't too noisy. Can't do that.

You'd think that Ford will at least place a single top-of-the-line vehicle in a 5 state radius where people can go test drive it, but no.

Let me see if I have this straight. You expected to go to a dealer and have a logical, sane (even pleasant) experience?

How many cars/trucks have you bought at dealerships? Such a thing sure hasn't ever happened to me.

A friend of mine at work has a good story though - he and his wife were shopping at a dealership here in Houston and two salesmen got into a fistfight! They left. That's my favorite dealership story, for some reason.

This is one of the main reasons I hope Tesla makes it. I don't ever want to go to a dealer again. Period.

I guess the guys who get the heavy duty trucks want a WORK truck and don't get all the frills and frippery, and the guys who just want to look tough, but have all the comforts, don't need the heavy duty version.

I can understand it (sort'a...). But that doesn't explain why the WORK truck isn't available either.

Keep in mind this is the number 1 selling vehicle in the country. For there to not be any single vehicle available anywhere in the country that conforms to the advertised load rating is just bizarre.

Love my F150 Lariat. Has all the bells and whistles. A/C Seats. 360 side view and backup camera. Tow package. I was lucky that I have 2 friends that I worked with at Lowe's who own a Ford dealership. I call them and give them my wants. They call other Dealers and find what you want. The only thing I wanted a V6 but they could only find a V8. The dump trailer is for use at our farm. Hauling horse poop, mulch, gravel, ETC.

IMG_1554.JPG
IMG_1895.JPG

Love my F150 Lariat. Has all the bells and whistles. A/C Seats. 360 side view and backup camera. Tow package. I was lucky that I have 2 friends that I worked with at Lowe's who own a Ford dealership. I call them and give them my wants. They call other Dealers and find what you want. The only thing I wanted a V6 but they could only find a V8. The dump trailer is for use at our farm. Hauling horse poop, mulch, gravel, ETC.

Great color on that Lariat!

Yip, that's what I wanted as well - all the bells and whistles, but with the mythical heavy duty payload (627) package that aren't actually stocked anywhere. We tried all the dealers, initially in the 5 surrounding states, and later in the rest of the country. I confirmed online - you can't get a Truck with the 627 package unless you custom order it. (Which be fine if I could test-drive it).

Alas, I've given up on Ford.

I'm heading over to GMC today to most likely buy a GMC Sierra 2500 Denali instead. Not as many nice features as the F150 (will really miss that 360 camera), but at least you can actually see and try vehicles with the advertised tow & payload ratings before buying, and don't have to wait 10 weeks for it.

While researching electric school buses, I ran into Adomani Electric. One of the engineers did a conversion of a 2007 F-150, and a 'hybrid' Dodge RAM which can do about 30 miles on battery, and use the engine if you need more.

I like what ADOMANI is doing. All school buses should be electric. Kids shouldn’t be breathing those diesel fumes every day. Plus, the schools can save a lot of money on fuel and maintenance.

Just buy a late model USED pickup with low miles and remaining warranty... And save THOU$AND$.

Over the past 15 years we bought a 2012 Toyota Prius from CarMax with only 3k miles, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 19k miles from local Jeep dealer, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Tomb Raider Limited Edition from private party via eBay with 2k miles... and our 2015 Tesla Model S P85D with 3k miles from Tesla "inventory".

Saved enough buying these these slightly used vehicles to "get one FREE". Seriously.

Stealerships know that paying "Sticker is Quicker"... but it's gonna cost you THOU$AND$ more.

YMMV

I was looking for a second car in Hong Kong and noticed the price of ICE cars has actually dropped for most brands even the luxury ones... have wondered if it was because of competition from Tesla that the dealers had to offer discounts or if cost of manufacturing ICE cars has dropped... I bet in North America, unlike Hong Kong with expensive gasoline, the economic reasons to buy a premium EV like Tesla are much less. Now when the heck is that Model P for Pickup coming Mr Musk? =P

I also need pickup truck for work, and I want to buy pre-owned F-150 from USA. My choice is 2013 Ford F-150(ABS brakes, Compass, Electronic Stability Control, Illuminated entry, Low tire pressure warning, Remote keyless entry, Traction control). I think it will be good. I have one problem, I live in Canada, so I also need to use customs brokers for documents and shipping.