TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

So I'm buying a Ford F150

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by deonb, Sep 16, 2015.

1. deonb

deonb Active Member

Well, I have to. Tesla doesn't a have pickup truck yet. Will trade when they do one day.

But the weird thing is... So I went to Ford's web site, selected all the weird combinations of options that I wanted, selected the color, oh, everything perfect.

Except that Ford seems to have forgotten the "Buy it now" button on the site?

Instead, they have another button that you can view current inventory. Ok, even better! Can get it the same day.

Uhh. No. There are no vehicles anywhere that matches my options from any dealer in my state. No further help is offered.

Ok... how does one buy custom cars again the non-Tesla way? Do I just pick a dealer at random and go give them the list of options I want for them to custom-build me a car?

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

You can probably request a custom build at your local stealership. Or show up and browse their inventory, you'll likely pay for options you don't need

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Hah. How quickly we forget bad experiences.

When I was buying a new BMW, I printed out the config I wanted and faxed it (yes, that long ago) to every BMW dealership within 100+ miles or so, with the request of 'name your price' and 'how soon can you have that config in stock?'.

Then I went into the local dealership with the quotes. The good news was that even though the local dealership hadn't come in anywhere near the lowest quote, they DID have the most timely allocation for the car I wanted. (He didn't know how important that was to me.) I told him to match the lowest price and he had a sale. So he did.

I chose to give the local guys a chance to match the price because I like to spend my money locally whenever possible.

Good luck!

4. StaceyS

StaceyS Member

Go rent one at Lowes, or Home Depot or Uhaul or Budget for when you need one. Its what I'm doing until I can get my trailer hitch installed and wired to pull my 5x8 utility trailer.

5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Best truck there is.

6. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I've read that buying a new vehicle through costco is very straightforward and low stress.

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Does anyone sell EV conversions for pickups? Seems like it would be a good business.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

10. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

VIA Motors looks great, but:

Q: Are you selling to consumers?

A: Currently we are not. We anticipate our technology will be available to consumers in the next 2 years. In the interim, if you would like to provide us with your contact information by clicking on our “Request a Quote” page, we will add you to our VIA Motors Newsletter.

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

That sucks. I can at least say the brought one to NDEW and we could sit in it. Hopefully they don't operate on Tesla-time!

12. 1208

1208 Active Member

#12 1208, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    LOL The last car I bought I was only allowed it in 1 colour because of the dealer. I wonder if in time other companies will adopt Tesla's model.

BTW, Do they have Hilux's over the pond? That's the pickup i'd go for.

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Sadly, no Toyoda Hilux in the States. :(

14. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Are you putting a hitch on an S? Who is doing that for you and what is it costing? I have a small trailer I'd like to pull too. The local service center won't install a hitch for me. We recently went all EV but the other car is a SoulEV and can't pull a trailer the way the old Sportage could. :)

15. idoco

idoco Member

16. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

I've seen a few posts of people with the EcoHitch.

17. ev-enthusiast

ev-enthusiast Active Member

Have fun with your new car!
    I am sure it'll be a great car!
    Ford F150 is a great truck;)

18. EVenthusiast

EVenthusiast Member

#18 EVenthusiast, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    While researching electric school buses, I ran into Adomani Electric. One of the engineers did a conversion of a 2007 F-150, and a 'hybrid' Dodge RAM which can do about 30 miles on battery, and use the engine if you need more.

19. Takumi

Takumi Member

20. brkaus

brkaus Member

Still depends on the dealer. Costco basically provides an introduction to the fleet department with a pre-agreed price. It has worked very well. I hear some dealers still try all the mats, wheel locks, etc upgrade game.