Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So my car was vandalized. What can I do to protect further damage before my windshield is replaced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what the weather will look like the day of my service appointment:

1000004939.jpg

Edit: rainfall will be 0.03 - 0.04 inches per hour

Last edited:
If the strike on the windshield was strong enough to shatter both parts of the windshield (outside/inside), could heavy rain potentially break down the windshield now that there's a hole?
Windshields are laminated glass, meaning there is a layer of glass outside, a plastic layer in the middle and another layer of glass inside. So generally, even with it shattered, the plastic layer should keep it in one piece.

There's mixed opinions on whether tape helps. Before the crack has spread, tape definitely helps to limit the spread. However, after it has spread, its use is limited (other than to cover the direct hole). I suppose you can cover the whole surface with tape (with some overlap so it's like one continuous piece) it'll serve a similar function of the built in plastic layer. But generally it seems this is not regarded as that useful and may even be counter productive if not the whole surface is covered (for example it is no longer recommended to use the cross pattern to tape windows for hurricanes, experts seem to feel that will only make it break into larger shards and be more dangerous).

Reactions: fredjan