Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

so sad to be disappointed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn't a valid case. The bottom circled item isn't panel to panel. It's a panel to a plastic bumper cover. You would NOT want a large gap there. Bumper covers are usually clipped on coupled with some fasteners and bolts.

Go look at any car or truck in the US w/plastic bumper covers since maybe model year 1984 or so on forward by the time bumper standards became 2.5 mph. You'll also see very little gap between a body panel and a plastic bumper cover.

I've removed the front bumper cover of my Prius because when trying to change a headlight, the clip fell off and I couldn't see to get it back on. You can see a partial removal at
(same generation as my Prius). You can see some fasteners then bolts being removed at the top starting around 1:00. There are bolts on each side behind the wheel liner (2:00)

I think whoever edited the photo was trying to highlight that there because the bumper to panel is flush, the gap on the trunk is exacerbated. I don't think the original photo was trying to say that the bumper to panel needs a gap.
Here's another one:
20180527_111727-jpg.312133

Then there are cars that look impeccable
IMG_20180827_105054211_2.jpg

i have some pictures i will post if i can figure out how to do it
I have never posted pictures so I can't explain how you do it, but I understand you can put your photos on a third party platform like Imgur, Flicker, etc., and then post a link here to your pictures. Alternatively, perhaps you could start a private conversation with @OutofThyme and ask him/her for help. I only single OutofThyme out because that person did post photos, so should be able to offer help.

When you've typed your text, use the Upload an Image/File button. Chose your image from you phone/computer, position your cursor where you want the image to appear, then click either Insert Thumbnail or Insert Full Image button. If your image is large go for the Thumbnail.

• Helpful
Reactions: kelly
That is...implausible. If the gaps aren’t perfect, even if they are way off, the body panels can still be wrapped.

You say every gap on your car is off. I have seen many 3’s, up close, and I’ve never seen one anything like what you describe.

Your post is not credible without you producing proof.
he said when they go to fix it if the panel is wrapped it could damage the wrap..look i know nothing about cars im a waitress..maybe my post doesnt make sense ..im going to go take some more pictures now..i can't figure out how to get them off my phone to this computer but i will email them to you from my phone..

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
That was a time robber but I think,I,got it right ..thank u 4 explaining I understand all the negitivitu now..
Barba,

You are probably one of the sweetest, nicest hardest working waitresses in San Diego. if so, this form is a great place for support and advice and your cosmetic problems if missed or ignored by QC can be addressed by Tesla.

On the other hand, there are many people and forces wanting to bash Tesla, short their stock and make money in the process by falsely disparaging the brand. So until you provide some proof it is difficult to determine if you are a hard-working waitress or a hard-working, have-no-shame short.

Barba,

You are probably one of the sweetest, nicest hardest working waitresses in San Diego. if so, this form is a great place for support and advice and your cosmetic problems if missed or ignored by QC can be addressed by Tesla.

On the other hand, there are many people and forces wanting to bash Tesla, short their stock and make money in the process by falsely disparaging the brand. So until you provide some proof it is difficult to determine if you are a hard-working waitress or a hard-working, have-no-shame short.
he said when they go to fix it if the panel is wrapped it could damage the wrap..look i know nothing about cars im a waitress..maybe my post doesnt make sense ..im going to go take some more pictures now..i can't figure out how to get them off my phone to this computer but i will email them to you from my phone..
1020181329_HDR.jpg
1020181329_HDR.jpg

• Funny

Attachments

• 1020181325a_HDR.jpg
    1020181325a_HDR.jpg
    1,021 KB · Views: 59
  • 1020181330c.jpg
    1020181330c.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 1020181326_HDR.jpg
    1020181326_HDR.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 1020181326.jpg
    1020181326.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 1020181326a.jpg
    1020181326a.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 1020181324.jpg
    1020181324.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 56
  • 1020181324_HDR.jpg
    1020181324_HDR.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 1020181324a.jpg
    1020181324a.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 59
  • 1020181324b.jpg
    1020181324b.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 1020181326b.jpg
    1020181326b.jpg
    869.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Funny
once found out about the model 3 in july 2016..i went on line placed my deposit and waited..it was a while but i didn't mind..my main purpose for getting an EV was to help reduce emissions.the plus came when it came to configuring mine i could get the dual motor ..sweet..it will be quick too.well finally i got it last friday..and i noticed right away the inconsistency in the gaps..i said something to the delivery guy but he said' well that is to be expected'..im no expert an know nothing about making a car but if i notice the large and small spaces chances are its very obvious..i took the car to be tinted and the tinting guy said wow these gaps are all over the place.i said i know..i showed him where on one side it is what visibly to my naked eye looks like a 1/4 inch off..i called tesla and made an appointment to bring it in.they didn't have an opening for 2 weeks..i had planned to get the car wrapped in a ppf.i took it in to get that done and the guy said he wasn't comfortable doing it because my car was so off.i live in san diego this is one of the best way places here an he has been doing tesla wraps for over 5 years..he said it is the worst tesla he has seen.my heart sunk. i could over hear him talking to another guy and the guy said there is no way that car should have been sold..is there no quality control ?
I am a waitress,Ive been a waitress since i was 14 every single thing i have ive tried my best and worked for . my money no more important than the next person . i do not expect any special treatment however i do expect when i pay 72k for a vehicle that the company that produces and sells it to me has tried and done their best.I hope this is not the best this company has to offer. I have been a huge fan because i believe in what is being done here..0 emissions is the most important thing we can do in our generation.its been too long we have been destroying the earth.
when i look at my car (with my untrained eye)i can't find one place where an entire panel has a consistent gap or is flush.it seems like maybe a mistake was made on the first panel and they spent the rest of the time trying to over compensate for this.my car looks horrible..I'm so disappointed ..

That was a time robber but I think,I,got it right ..thank u 4 explaining I understand all the negitivitu now..these pictures name me look dumb..i think you can tell there is a problem but i person it makes me sad..the lights for instance see palaces they stic put past the panels and other places they are recessed..when i say to one paneling this car is completely flush with even gaps ..im serious..not 1 panel..i dont know about anyone in here but $72k plus an the other fees is a lot of money to me..i feel like i should have something that is made better than my roommates 20 yr old 4 runner this been in 2 accidents.

View attachment 345643 View attachment 345643

i was going to 5 point auto in san diego
Honestly Teslas don’t have great build quality. It’s hard to tell but your pictures don’t look any worse than others I’ve seen. Except for the roof glass alignment, that’s pretty bad.
I’m going to get a quote from 5 point too! Hopefully they don’t point out all the flaws I’ve failed to notice. I chatted with the manager at an event and he said that Tesla’s paint quality control is horrible. My bumper had to be repainted and they said they fixed a couple other flaws that I didn’t notice.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and cwerdna
Sorry to see you're disappointed. My last post "pics or it didn't happen" was partially a joke, it's an internet thing. But mostly was trying to say to take some pics so we can help assess. You should take some pics from further away, because it's hard to see what's what when they are all close ups. Some gaps simply don't look bad unless you stick your nose at it.

Note that many of the alignment issues can be fixed, some can even be fixed by their mobile repair units. So schedule your appointment and see about getting the car to your liking. My question is, were you unhappy about the car at your delivery? Or did it happen after you went to the detail shop and heard people talk about it? Most important thing is for you to be happy. And don't let others sour your mood, especially not a bunch of detail shop guys.

A lot of these guys have a "preference" and they tend to be smug about it. Don't believe me, try asking them to use a different brand of PPF or ceramic coating than what they are suggesting. You'll get a dose of bs from 8 out of 10 detail shops. They do the same with cars, and many have a bias against EV's.

If you were unhappy at delivery, you should've rejected the car and gotten a new VIN. Everybody has different tolerance levels, and the car may not look good to you, but it would look perfect to someone else. That's why if you were not satisfied, you should've rejected it and taken a new VIN and roll the dice for another go.

Anyways I hope Tesla can fix the car up to your satisfaction. It's easy to say a 72k car shouldn't look such & such on the outside. I suppose if you take that stance, you could say that about other 60-80k cars and say they should all have over the air updates, smooth touchscreen interactions, a mandatory 0-60 at under 3.5secs, they should all go over 300 miles or they suck, they should all have 5 star safety ratings in all categories, why can't all expensive cars have panoramic roof, they should all come stock with dashcams, oh no Atari games? I'm rejecting the car sorry. Ok I'm getting a bit carried away, but just wanting to highlight some of the "good" parts of the car that you may have forgotten. Other 60-80k cars may look perfect on the outside, but damn they sure don't drive as good, not built to be as safe, nor are they as high tech on the inside.

Hopefully in the future Tesla build quality will improve as they sort out production ramp and deliveries. Cheers.

once found out about the model 3 in july 2016..i went on line placed my deposit and waited..it was a while but i didn't mind..my main purpose for getting an EV was to help reduce emissions.the plus came when it came to configuring mine i could get the dual motor ..sweet..it will be quick too.well finally i got it last friday..and i noticed right away the inconsistency in the gaps..i said something to the delivery guy but he said' well that is to be expected'..im no expert an know nothing about making a car but if i notice the large and small spaces chances are its very obvious..i took the car to be tinted and the tinting guy said wow these gaps are all over the place.i said i know..i showed him where on one side it is what visibly to my naked eye looks like a 1/4 inch off..i called tesla and made an appointment to bring it in.they didn't have an opening for 2 weeks..i had planned to get the car wrapped in a ppf.i took it in to get that done and the guy said he wasn't comfortable doing it because my car was so off.i live in san diego this is one of the best way places here an he has been doing tesla wraps for over 5 years..he said it is the worst tesla he has seen.my heart sunk. i could over hear him talking to another guy and the guy said there is no way that car should have been sold..is there no quality control ?
I am a waitress,Ive been a waitress since i was 14 every single thing i have ive tried my best and worked for . my money no more important than the next person . i do not expect any special treatment however i do expect when i pay 72k for a vehicle that the company that produces and sells it to me has tried and done their best.I hope this is not the best this company has to offer. I have been a huge fan because i believe in what is being done here..0 emissions is the most important thing we can do in our generation.its been too long we have been destroying the earth.
when i look at my car (with my untrained eye)i can't find one place where an entire panel has a consistent gap or is flush.it seems like maybe a mistake was made on the first panel and they spent the rest of the time trying to over compensate for this.my car looks horrible..I'm so disappointed ..