Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

so sad to be disappointed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same thing happened to me and my 3. I had panel gap inconsistencies in the front around hood, front bumper and both fenders. The headlight was also stickingout/noot flush like the opposite. There were also gaps in chrome trim around window and in the read bumper. So far my car has been to the body shop three times (two shops) and will require one more, final visit. I love the car except I felt wronged in some way. I feel like Tesla is trying to fix a brand new car to look like a brand new car. After the third relair attempt I told Tesla I wanted to return my car. They started the process for the return. Then offered one final repair job as well as a few non disclosable incentives. We settled and are planning on the final fix in the near future.

Tesla wants us to have a car we love. Each person is different. Some don't mind or don't see the gaps, if any. There are cars that come out flawless and some that come out with crooked panels. This should not stop anyone from purchasing a 3. They are great cars. I love mine. But, if I did this all over again being aware of the possible QA discrepancies, I would NOT have accepted my model 3 and asked for another VIN with no defects.

Did you check the return policy? Do lemon laws apply to only mechanical issues? If you are out of options to return it, you have no choice but to work with the service center.

You mentioned that the car looks horrible, why did you take delivery? Did it start looking horrible after you got it home or after the gaps were pointed out to you?

I will agree that for $72K you should expect better. That said, you should have demanded better at delivery. I know how it is in the moment, I almost took delivery of a flawed car. Fortunately, I told them no and left with a Model S loaner and my check and left the car there.

Since this is your first time posting in a forum, you’ll have to forgive the posters here. Between the writing (poor spacing, less than perfect sentence structure, etc.), the story (I’m a hardworking waitress buying a $72K car) and being a first post, your gripe screams fraud. That is why people reacted negatively.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your car.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
Sorry to see you're disappointed. My last post "pics or it didn't happen" was partially a joke, it's an internet thing. But mostly was trying to say to take some pics so we can help assess. You should take some pics from further away, because it's hard to see what's what when they are all close ups. Some gaps simply don't look bad unless you stick your nose at it.

Note that many of the alignment issues can be fixed, some can even be fixed by their mobile repair units. So schedule your appointment and see about getting the car to your liking. My question is, were you unhappy about the car at your delivery? Or did it happen after you went to the detail shop and heard people talk about it? Most important thing is for you to be happy. And don't let others sour your mood, especially not a bunch of detail shop guys.

A lot of these guys have a "preference" and they tend to be smug about it. Don't believe me, try asking them to use a different brand of PPF or ceramic coating than what they are suggesting. You'll get a dose of bs from 8 out of 10 detail shops. They do the same with cars, and many have a bias against EV's.

If you were unhappy at delivery, you should've rejected the car and gotten a new VIN. Everybody has different tolerance levels, and the car may not look good to you, but it would look perfect to someone else. That's why if you were not satisfied, you should've rejected it and taken a new VIN and roll the dice for another go.

Anyways I hope Tesla can fix the car up to your satisfaction. It's easy to say a 72k car shouldn't look such & such on the outside. I suppose if you take that stance, you could say that about other 60-80k cars and say they should all have over the air updates, smooth touchscreen interactions, a mandatory 0-60 at under 3.5secs, they should all go over 300 miles or they suck, they should all have 5 star safety ratings in all categories, why can't all expensive cars have panoramic roof, they should all come stock with dashcams, oh no Atari games? I'm rejecting the car sorry. Ok I'm getting a bit carried away, but just wanting to highlight some of the "good" parts of the car that you may have forgotten. Other 60-80k cars may look perfect on the outside, but damn they sure don't drive as good, not built to be as safe, nor are they as high tech on the inside.

Hopefully in the future Tesla build quality will improve as they sort out production ramp and deliveries. Cheers.

i grew up in barbados , gratitude is my attitude ..i am so thankful i am even in a position to own a car much less an electric one.i do not feel good about the way i have treated the planet in my life time.i have over used plastics with out knowing much about the disposal of them .i could go on but will not bore you with it.look we all have our focus.all the positives about this ev company in my opinion is 0 emissions..all the rest in my opinion really won't matter in 100 yrs.0 emissions will. its easy for me to get caught up in right here now.i try to consciously think big picture. ti really isn't about me.I'm only here for a short time , I need to be respectful of the planet for others.that is my trip.right and wrong dont exists in my world ..right for me may not be right for you. so i am sad that i feel disappointed .i believe there is no way a car that costs ( actually over 72k)lets say 72k should leave the assembly line looking like the one i got period. this is my opinion.i said something to the guy that delivered it .i asked why there were such large spaces and it was so uneven he said' this is to be expected' he was in and out in less than 15 minutes. me not having a car for a week because there were some other problems they had and i was cool with it.no one is perfect there are positives and negatives in everything .so this is a negative it doesn't mean because i was disappointed that the company is bad..perhaps it shows us something else who knows .i know nothing about cars.because this is a large investment i did as much research as i could .i called ahead and asked to have my car checked out for the top 8 tesla complaints ,.so to save myself some of the most important thing in my life, the depreciating asset of time..anyhoo now i have to go and spend some of my most valuable asset on wed and take day off work and take car in and start that process.the car drives fine an probably will for a long time,2 of the doors are more difficult to close and a few other small things that are due to the uneven placement of the panels.(when i say there is not a single panel of this car that has a consistent space and sits flush.not 1 i am not lying this is the truth . believe me when i say to you i have checked).in the scheme of things if this is the biggest complain i have in life ..i am a very fortunate person .i had half a morning of my time robbed trying to figure out how to get these pictures on line and they really don't show the issues well at all.so im over the pictures.i just felt sad, i joined the forum to talk to others that may have something helpful to say to me. because ive waited so long made the biggest investment of my life and i felt disappointed. im sure there are things i would do differently next time..my mother told me the best lessons in life are the most expensive ones..so it is what it is.i ended up with a car that emits 0 emissions.the other details really dont matter .

Did you check the return policy? Do lemon laws apply to only mechanical issues? If you are out of options to return it, you have no choice but to work with the service center.

You mentioned that the car looks horrible, why did you take delivery? Did it start looking horrible after you got it home or after the gaps were pointed out to you?

I will agree that for $72K you should expect better. That said, you should have demanded better at delivery. I know how it is in the moment, I almost took delivery of a flawed car. Fortunately, I told them no and left with a Model S loaner and my check and left the car there.

Since this is your first time posting in a forum, you’ll have to forgive the posters here. Between the writing (poor spacing, less than perfect sentence structure, etc.), the story (I’m a hardworking waitress buying a $72K car) and being a first post, your gripe screams fraud. That is why people reacted negatively.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your car.
i umherstand now why it seems strange.i am also a math person so please forgive my english (its not important to me ...i give it no time)i am a wiatress by choice ..it is 100% what i want todo. i love my job. the depreciating asset of time is the most valuable thing i have and i work from 11am to 4 pm mon to fri no nights an no weekends..ive worked at my current job since 2004..ive actually only had 6 jobs in my life time all serving the 1st one was 1986 when i leave work i dont think about it again till i get back.