Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SoCal 240V Circuit Install Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you do install la NEMA 14-50 outlet, make sure you get a "commercial rated" outlet. Most consumer grade outlet are not rated for the heavy current usage and have been the source of "issues".
I believe there are three manufacture/models that are recommended, and are listed in the Tesla instructions.
One is the Hubble:
Hubbell Wiring Systems HBL9450A Straight Blade Heavy Duty Specification Grade Single Flush Receptacle, 50 Amp, 125/250VAC, 3 Pole, 4 Wire, Black
Be aware that the diameter of the cover plate is larger than the consumer rated outlets. The Hubble has a much more stout and thicker plug housing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you do install la NEMA 14-50 outlet, make sure you get a "commercial rated" outlet. Most consumer grade outlet are not rated for the heavy current usage and have been the source of "issues".
I believe there are three manufacture/models that are recommended, and are listed in the Tesla instructions.
One is the Hubble:
Hubbell Wiring Systems HBL9450A Straight Blade Heavy Duty Specification Grade Single Flush Receptacle, 50 Amp, 125/250VAC, 3 Pole, 4 Wire, Black
Be aware that the diameter of the cover plate is larger than the consumer rated outlets. The Hubble has a much more stout and thicker plug housing.
Wow, I used a Tesla-certified electrician five years ago, and just checked the outlet - Leviton. Fortunately, I mainly use a Clipper Creek with a NEMA 14-50 plug that is very rarely unplugged. With the Gen 2 UMC limited to 32A, there's no more reason to ever unplug the Clipper Creek (with the first gen UMC, it could charge at 40A, vs the 32A of the Clipper Creek; rarely we needed the faster rate).

I do miss the Gen I UMC and its 40A capacity.