Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

socal edison ev charger rebates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a couple of threads about this but not quite answering my question.
Has anyone been through the process of getting a charger installation rebate from SocalEdison?
They offer $450 cash just for buying an EV. In addition they offer I think $450-1500 for installing a charger at home (and installing a second electric meter).
I had my electrician install a Nema outlet which is right by my panel which only cost about $250. I don't really need the Tesla wall charger but if Socaledison will pay for most if not all of it then I might as well do it. In addition maybe I don't need to get the wall charger but I can get Socaledison to pay for my existing installation of just an outlet.
In the T&Cs it states that a charger must be installed but what does "charger" mean. Would an outlet count as a charger since a Tesla doesnt need a charging station like the wall charger. The lady on the phone was not very convincing when she said that yes an outlet would be covered.
Other stipulation is that of course everything must be done fully permitted.
Has anyone been through the procedure and did the benefits outweigh any hassles (ie. pulling permits etc.)
I don't have much space left on my wall for a second meter but if you install a 2nd meter you get a special low rate for EVs and they will cover $1500 for installation for that.
Any advice gratefully received

I had my electrician install a Nema outlet which is right by my panel which only cost about $250. I don't really need the Tesla wall charger but if Socaledison will pay for most if not all of it then I might as well do it. In addition maybe I don't need to get the wall charger but I can get Socaledison to pay for my existing installation of just an outlet.

In the T&Cs it states that a charger must be installed but what does "charger" mean. Would an outlet count as a charger since a Tesla doesnt need a charging station like the wall charger. The lady on the phone was not very convincing when she said that yes an outlet would be covered.

Other stipulation is that of course everything must be done fully permitted.
Has anyone been through the procedure and did the benefits outweigh any hassles (ie. pulling permits etc.)
I don't have much space left on my wall for a second meter but if you install a 2nd meter you get a special low rate for EVs and they will cover $1500 for installation for that.
Any advice gratefully received

Hello, I was looking into this scenario for myself as well and I got a few takeaways from it. Please the website as it looks relatively clear. Charge Ready Home Installation Rebate | SCE Clean Fuel Rewards Program

• SCE will only cover the cost of the electrical installation labor, material and permitting BUT not the EVSE itself.
  • The installing electrician must be licensed (C-10) and not a general contractor.
  • The work must be permitted.
  • Your whole house must be converted to a Time of Use (TOU) rate schedule for at least 24 months from the application date.
  • The maximum rebate amount without a second meter is $500.
  • The maximum rebate amount with a second meter is $1500.
  • The benefit of the 2nd meter is that you don't have to convert your whole house to a TOU rate, and the Super-Off Peak charging hours hours are longer for EVs.

For future reference
  • The "charger" is built into the car itself. An EVSE (which you buy and install) is basically a protection device similar to a GFCI or surge protector.
Hope that helps!

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
Thank you for your reply.. adds some clarity..
When you say EVSE are you saying that my Nema socket on the wall would not qualify? Is the Tesla charging cable not an EVSE effectively (presumably that box that lights up at the end contains the smarts to monitor the power levels, surge protection etc.?
Of course the Tesla wall charger is an EVSE that also gives faster charging but I really don't need that. Is there any reason I need something else other than the Nema socket? Could I try and get the $500 rebate just for putting in the Nema socket (assuming I get permits). The socket was installed by a professional licensed electrician. After talking to the socaledison it seems that at present my usage profile means that moving to a TOU plan would cost me more money as we use so little electricity in general. Getting a second meter might be better but I wonder if it would really be worth the expense even with the rebate.