Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I closed out my TSLA trades this morning for a nice gain. Here is what I did since I had no cash to make any trades:

Sold weekly $230 calls x6 for $9.70 when TSLA was above $237 (I had long open LEAPS positions so no margin requirement)
Bought 30 $225 weekly puts and 30 $210 puts and had some cash left over still.

Yesterday I sold 5 puts from each to cover back 2 out of 6 short calls.

This morning I sold the rest of my puts to cover the calls and made a couple thousand dollars on this trade. I got a little greedy this morning hoping for a dip into the $220's but Wedbush spoiled the fun for me; it could have been a lot better. But I was able to cash out in time, and now my naked LEAPS should run nicely if the stock does in fact rebound.

I closed out my TSLA trades this morning for a nice gain. Here is what I did since I had no cash to make any trades:

Sold weekly $230 calls x6 for $9.70 when TSLA was above $237 (I had long open LEAPS positions so no margin requirement)
Bought 30 $225 weekly puts and 30 $210 puts and had some cash left over still.

Yesterday I sold 5 puts from each to cover back 2 out of 6 short calls.

This morning I sold the rest of my puts to cover the calls and made a couple thousand dollars on this trade. I got a little greedy this morning hoping for a dip into the $220's but Wedbush spoiled the fun for me; it could have been a lot better. But I was able to cash out in time, and now my naked LEAPS should run nicely if the stock does in fact rebound.

Nicely done, and I just woke up. I just grabbed 2 september leaps and 150 shares in the mid 30's, nothing more complicated, and 4 weekly 257.5's- if the discussion about rebalancing plays out, they should help a bit.

This weeks weeklies?

yeah, the ones that expire tomorrow. I figure i'll grab a handful of them for a hundred or two hundred dollars late on friday when they are pennies, in addition the 4 that i have now, and if there is any news aftermarket on friday I'll short the pop and call my broker to exercise the options. (if it ends at 250, i'll buy the 252 strikes for 0.01 at 3:59, then if there's a spike to 255 i'll short at 255, call my broker to exercise the 252.5 strike options and make 249 dollars per contract). I dunno, i don't like taking advice off the boards of timing events without verifying, but this will cost me a total of 20 bucks.

This senior position has been vacant since George Blankenship retired last year. George, you'll recall, had this role first at Apple, where he created the Apple store concept -- which explains the deja vu moment when you walk into a Tesla store. Same mall, same design components, and the world's highest-tech iPad accessory.
This is a good move, provided that Sproule holds the course that George laid out. I'd worry, though, if he thinks that the communications and marketing of traditional auto manufacturers is "the right way".

This senior position has been vacant since George Blankenship retired last year. George, you'll recall, had this role first at Apple, where he created the Apple store concept -- which explains the deja vu moment when you walk into a Tesla store. Same mall, same design components, and the world's highest-tech iPad accessory.
This is a good move, provided that Sproule holds the course that George laid out. I'd worry, though, if he thinks that the communications and marketing of traditional auto manufacturers is "the right way".

I completely agree on last point, Robert. It makes me initially nervous that Mr. Sproule is not a Silicon Valley hire, but that fresh perspective could actually be a good thing, and I trust that as an Elon Musk hire, Mr. Sproule will be first and foremost a professional who will adapt his communications style to fit the tech-centric brand and product of Tesla, rather than try to adapt Tesla to fit his industry experience. That's what any good manager should do.

Fortunately, Elon's skill sizing up management talent is one of his greatest strengths, and I trust he's picked another winner.

It makes me initially nervous that Mr. Sproule is not a Silicon Valley hire, but that fresh perspective could actually be a good thing, and I trust that as an Elon Musk hire, Mr. Sproule will be first and foremost a professional who will adapt his communications style to fit the tech-centric brand and product of Tesla, rather than try to adapt Tesla to fit his industry experience. That's what any good manager should do.

Remember also that Renault-Nissan is the most serious of the traditional auto manufacturers when it comes to electric cars.

So… the NJ news appears to have had no negative effect on share price. I was initially skeptical that this could be positive, but the whole incident is bringing a lot of people over to Tesla's side.

Never underestimate the depths of hatred which people have for auto dealers. They consistently rank the least trusted, lowest customer satisfaction, worst consumer experience, etc etc etc. People dislike them more than politicians, lawyers, dentists, bankers, mechanics, everything. Occasionally they beat lobbyists. And here we're talking about lobbyists for auto dealers. So it's pretty clear which side of the debate the public is gong to come down on.

So… the NJ news appears to have had no negative effect on share price. I was initially skeptical that this could be positive, but the whole incident is bringing a lot of people over to Tesla's side.

Looking at SA, even the shorts by and large agree that Dealers suck and that people ought to be able to choose how to spend their own money. Even up to the point of stating support for Tesla and consumers having the freedom to interact without legislation favouring the special interests of car salesmen.

Looking at SA, even the shorts by and large agree that Dealers suck and that people ought to be able to choose how to spend their own money. Even up to the point of stating support for Tesla and consumers having the freedom to interact without legislation favouring the special interests of car salesmen.

Link?

Some Nissan boss in Norway said that Quebec would be the new Norway because of new incentives. Do we know anything about this? He was really excited, and said it would be huge for the EV industry.

Link?