Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being my first 'test' with weeklies that strategy would be helpful. Up 25% in 1 hour.

I like to sell half when the price doubles that way the risk is gone and a lot of the emotion is gone from my decision.

I have also done this with a slightly
modified approach when there is a good run and I have some time to watch the stock. I let them ride and watch the stock with one minute candles. Three consecutive red candles and I sell no matter how small or what type they are. (After all I'm selling above what I wanted to get anyways.). Because I'm watching it by the minute a big red candle will get sold too because of emotion. :D

Being my first 'test' with weeklies that strategy would be helpful. Up 25% in 1 hour.

I think if you take multiple options contracts (not just one) I would personally sell some portion at such gain, then some at 50% some at 75% etc. Then again if you bought them for a particular strategy (i.e. autoshow), then I'd wait for the catalyst unless the deal becomes too good not to take :) If you bought more than one then one option is to sell half when you hit +100% ;)

I think if you take multiple options contracts (not just one) I would personally sell some portion at such gain, then some at 50% some at 75% etc. Then again if you bought them for a particular strategy (i.e. autoshow), then I'd wait for the catalyst unless the deal becomes too good not to take :) If you bought more than one then one option is to sell half when you hit +100% ;)

Thanks Mario and Shadows. Up close to 70% now. I have 25 contracts. Will probably sell a portion.

Suspect this is catalyst http://finance.yahoo.com/news/inplay-briefing-com-055139997.html#tsla At&T and TM in long term agreement

I'm expecting it too soon. I have options that expire next week at 150, 155, 160, and a 170 as a gamble. The positions get lighter as you go up. The 160's and 170 are a little under. I thought about picking up another 170 this morning but I doubt it will get that high.

I'm expecting it too soon. I have options that expire next week at 150, 155, 160, and a 170 as a gamble. The positions get lighter as you go up. The 160's and 170 are a little under. I thought about picking up another 170 this morning but I doubt it will get that high.

I will gladly sell you some $170s. No, I don't have any to sell. I am actually already short the $170's; sold them a while back for like $3. TSLA will not get that high next week IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a defined exit point with a short play like this or are you generally just watching the stock and making a gut decision on when to exit?

These I am just playing by ear. No real exit strategy.

This is great advice. And this is what I normally do.

I always have an exit strategy except this time I bought them for the auto show speculation. But if they run up this week then I will sell some this week if they double. I will have to wait and see what the market does.

Just don't get too greedy with these weeklies. 70% up can be 50% down in a wink. It's like musical chairs - don't be the fool when the music stops playing ;)

Wise words, and very accurate. Not complaining but now down from 70% to 50% :wink: I will probably just hang on to see what happens at the auto show with TM and Panasonic presentations.

Short Term TSLA Investor Social Chat

I will gladly sell you some $170s. No, I don't have any to sell. I am actually already short the $170's; sold them a while back for like $3. TSLA will not get that high next week IMO.

That's why I didn't buy one. I bought most of these positions in early December. At that time I was expecting to see 155-160 by now. I thought we would go into the auto show at 160. You can see how well that prediction was.

I'm thinking hard about starting to buy one strike lower than what I plan. I had a lot of options that I missed by one strike.

This resistance at 150 is amazing.