Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software bug or SSD wearing out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For about a year, I've been having increasingly frequent SSD audio bugs. Currently, the music is literally skipping as if I'm jogging with an old walkman CD player. Sometimes it outright refuses to play songs that it previous has. It chugs sometimes on track seeking or going to next track. I'm wondering if anyone else has that problem? Is it the software or likely hardware? I've had the same 100GB Samsung SSD for sentry mode and music for about 4 years, last formatted about a year ago. With the write/overwrite etc. while driving, does that wear out an SSD in that time?

What do you all think? Software or Hardware?

Reactions: sublimejackman
I’d guess hardware. Try reformatting the drive again. Since you’re using the drive for both dashcam and music it’s getting written to a lot.

I don’t recall when Tesla made the glovebox USB the only one you could use for anything but charging, but if your 2022 Y can use other USB ports for media, you might consider using separate USBs for dashcam and media.

I’d guess hardware. Try reformatting the drive again. Since you’re using the drive for both dashcam and music it’s getting written to a lot.

I don’t recall when Tesla made the glovebox USB the only one you could use for anything but charging, but if your 2022 Y can use other USB ports for media, you might consider using separate USBs for dashcam and media.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I can only use the glovebox USB. I'll definitely try formatting it this weekend.

For about a year, I've been having increasingly frequent SSD audio bugs. Currently, the music is literally skipping as if I'm jogging with an old walkman CD player. Sometimes it outright refuses to play songs that it previous has. It chugs sometimes on track seeking or going to next track. I'm wondering if anyone else has that problem? Is it the software or likely hardware? I've had the same 100GB Samsung SSD for sentry mode and music for about 4 years, last formatted about a year ago. With the write/overwrite etc. while driving, does that wear out an SSD in that time?

What do you all think? Software or Hardware?
Recently, this has been my experience with MCU2 as well. I also noticed that if I'm using the UI and something needs to load, the audio cuts out for a second while it loads. Track skipping takes multiple button presses almost every time nowadays. This is regardless of the audio source. Spotify seems to be the biggest offender, with drop outs happening multiple times every drive. It even completely freezes at times, requiring the steering wheel button reset once every week or two.

So my guess is software. MCU2 is pushing 6 years. Running on a nearly decade old Intel Atom processor, it's starting to show its age when trying to run the latest updates.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DblOSmith