Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update for 2021 Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an August 2021 Model S plaid with software version 2021.44.30.21. The service center is telling me the software is up to date for my VIN. I contacted them to see if they could push the 2022 version that I had on a 2022 LR S I just sold. I could be mistaken, but I was hoping that update would move my 2021 from radar and vision to full vision for FSD and AP. I may be entirely misunderstanding this, but my 2021 Plaid has unbelievable phantom braking at highway speeds. It also will no go over 80 on the highway. The 2022 would go 90 on AP and had zero phantom braking events on the same route I normally take. Any ideas what I should be requesting from Tesla to resolve this or info about a 2021 S migration from radar + vision to full vision would be super helpful. Thanks!

It's the other way around. Your Plaid has the FSD Beta, which is Vision only and hence has tons of phantom braking. Your LR was still using radar.

Email [email protected] and ask to be removed from the FSD Beta program and your car will go back to Vision + Radar soon (until they make vision-only the baseline, which will happen soon since new Model S aren't even shipping with radar)

Thanks for the email. I’ll definitely try to contact them!

I’m unclear on why the 2022 LR S wouldn’t have been in the “beta” because I had paid for FSD for it and opted in on the main autopilot options in the car for FSD (Beta).

Either way, I’d happily get off BETA just to eliminate the phantom braking and the 80 mph ceiling

Thanks for the email. I’ll definitely try to contact them!

I’m unclear on why the 2022 LR S wouldn’t have been in the “beta” because I had paid for FSD for it and opted in on the main autopilot options in the car for FSD (Beta).

Either way, I’d happily get off BETA just to eliminate the phantom braking and the 80 mph ceiling
You may have opted in to have your Safety Score tracked until you get in, but they haven't added new cars to the Beta population for a while - they only add people when they roll out new versions and new versions have been a bit lumpy lately.

Does anyone know for a fact that my 2021 LR S will update past 2021.44.30.21 if I opt out of the FSD beta and it will return to radar!? I am still struggling with the phantom breaking on my regular trips from KC to Denver and back -- and can't stand it anymore. I too have been told that 2021.44.30.21 is the latest software release for my Model S.