Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update version 36.2.1 user interface changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just completed my first drive with the new v36.2.1 update in my Model 3P and I’m a very happy driver.
Most notable improvement is the one pedal driving capability. The new 'Hold' driving mode is absolutely fantastic, I honestly cannot remember having to touch the brake on any part of my journey on quite busy Cardiff roads including spell on M4. This included junctions, lights and other traffic stopping when I was in manual drive and not in Assisted Cruise Control or Autopilot
Another improvement I liked was the traffic visualization which now clearly show nice red traffic cones when encountered.
I didn't really test out the reported additional 5% power increase but as it already scares the bejeebers out of me I may be needing a good cardiologist soon.
It did feel a lot smoother especially on deceleration. One gripe is that when I'm on Navigate with Autopilot it still brakes for no reason when overtaking cars in slower lane. This does not happen when on regular Autopilot.
Summary, big thumbs up for Version 2019.36.2.1

I'm just not a fan of one pedal driving, or rather I should say HOLD mode. I much prefer CREEP functionality, especially when pulling into my garage or a parking spot or something like that at low speed. HOLD mode requires actively using the accelerator. I much prefer to keep my foot over the brake pedal (and perhaps modulating that) rather than the accelerator and then trusting that as I am getting within mere inches of obstacles in my garage (because it's a tight fit) that the car is going to stop on a dime as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator. Maybe it does, but it feels unnatural. But hey, that's why it's a setting, so both people can be happy.

But the real reason I replied here is the cone visualization. I am not seeing that at all, and believe me, I drove to a sporting event where the parking lot was filled with more cones than you can imagine, and not a single one was visualized, so I figured that maybe that was going to be in a later release. So you are seeing this in 36.2.1?

I'm not sure how big a fan I am of the fact that the car now automatically navigates me to work in the morning and home in the afternoon. There are two alternate routes for the car to take and it never wants to take the one I want. Plus some of its decisions about lane changes during rush hour traffic fail to take into account what I know about which lanes are the right ones to be in. I use Autopilot all the time while commuting, but I never bother NAVIGATING to home or worse because (a) I am quite familiar with the way and (b) I don't want the car to be making lane changes and such...I'll handle that part. So now with this new automated navigation, I have to take the additional step of turning off NoA (if I remember) and then re-enabling later on (maybe this step isn't necessary) when I really do want it. I like the concept of the automatic navigation, but I wish I could disable it for WORK/HOME, or even if there was a prompt first, like Waze does, where it at least asks you YES or NO if you would like to navigate to an automatic destination.

Reactions: John S.
I'm just not a fan of one pedal driving, or rather I should say HOLD mode. I much prefer CREEP functionality, especially when pulling into my garage or a parking spot or something like that at low speed. HOLD mode requires actively using the accelerator. I much prefer to keep my foot over the brake pedal (and perhaps modulating that) rather than the accelerator and then trusting that as I am getting within mere inches of obstacles in my garage (because it's a tight fit) that the car is going to stop on a dime as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator. Maybe it does, but it feels unnatural. But hey, that's why it's a setting, so both people can be happy.

But the real reason I replied here is the cone visualization. I am not seeing that at all, and believe me, I drove to a sporting event where the parking lot was filled with more cones than you can imagine, and not a single one was visualized, so I figured that maybe that was going to be in a later release. So you are seeing this in 36.2.1?

I'm not sure how big a fan I am of the fact that the car now automatically navigates me to work in the morning and home in the afternoon. There are two alternate routes for the car to take and it never wants to take the one I want. Plus some of its decisions about lane changes during rush hour traffic fail to take into account what I know about which lanes are the right ones to be in. I use Autopilot all the time while commuting, but I never bother NAVIGATING to home or worse because (a) I am quite familiar with the way and (b) I don't want the car to be making lane changes and such...I'll handle that part. So now with this new automated navigation, I have to take the additional step of turning off NoA (if I remember) and then re-enabling later on (maybe this step isn't necessary) when I really do want it. I like the concept of the automatic navigation, but I wish I could disable it for WORK/HOME, or even if there was a prompt first, like Waze does, where it at least asks you YES or NO if you would like to navigate to an automatic destination.

Then turn off the automatic navigation if you don’t like it.

You need HW3 to see cones.

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
Re: Joe Mode in 36.2.1.

Is Joe Mode working correctly for everyone? Updated to 36.2.1 and now all the warning noises are stupid loud again. I cycled the Joe Mode setting and there was no perceived difference in volume. Even tried a soft two button restart.

Anyone else have this issue? At least I can see cones I guess, without FSD.

I have a LR AWD and just got the update yesterday.

I LOVE Hold mode, it's like "L" mode on my old Bolt and I love one-pedal driving. Having to use breaks as often as I used to made me miss that feature from the Bolt.

Also, acceleration is great, it seems like low speed acceleration got "beefier" if that makes sense. I'm about 50% SoC right now and it feels like I'm closer to 70-80%, when usually I can start to feel a difference in speed at this level. I haven't gone full beans yet since it's cold and the streets are salt covered, but when I do I'll do a Dragy test.

Here's what it looks like in 36.2.1:

IMG_5763.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and RTPEV
One gripe is that when I'm on Navigate with Autopilot it still brakes for no reason when overtaking cars in slower lane. This does not happen when on regular Autopilot.

Slowing down when overtaking cars is an effect of the NOA setting. Change it from “Mild” to “Average” or if brave, “Mad Max”. I keep mine on “Average” and it changes lane before it has to slow down. I’m not brave enough to try “Mad Max”. So i don’t know how it would differ.

• Informative
Then turn off the automatic navigation if you don’t like it.

I didn't say I didn't like it. I said I didn't like it on the way to work (and home on the way home from work). Aside from that it is a fantastic feature. I have been making sure I put addresses in my calendar entries for a long time so I can just click the calendar entry to navigate to my appointments. Making it automatic is great. It just doesn't do a good job in rush hour commuting traffic.

You need HW3 to see cones.

Interesting. Thanks. Another good test of whether HW3 is installed I guess, and while it's only a curiosity for me at the moment, the first "legitimate" reason to be wanting the HW3 upgrade.

Slowing down when overtaking cars is an effect of the NOA setting. Change it from “Mild” to “Average” or if brave, “Mad Max”. I keep mine on “Average” and it changes lane before it has to slow down. I’m not brave enough to try “Mad Max”. So i don’t know how it would differ.

I've pretty much had mine in Mad Max since day one (I've experimented a few times to see if "Mild" or "Average" improved some of the other misbehaviors I've seen), and I can say that having it in Mad Max does not improve this. The car still wants to slow down for some reason before initiating a lane change into the slow lane. It's not every time, but it's probably 80% of the time. I have tried various things including getting WAY ahead of the car I just passed and make sure the new lane is empty ahead of me and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Quite annoying.

I have a LR AWD and just got the update yesterday.

I LOVE Hold mode, it's like "L" mode on my old Bolt and I love one-pedal driving. Having to use breaks as often as I used to made me miss that feature from the Bolt.

Your Bolt doesn't Creep?

My 2019 Volt runs almost exactly like my Tesla does in Creep mode. D and L on the Volt are just like Regen Low and Standard on the Tesla. The Paddle on the Volt does help avoid braking but still not a full stop.

Volt does have more aggressive regen and does apply it down to a slower speed. Volt Regen also doesn't seem impacted by the cold yet (30F, where my Model X is 100% limited Regen in the same conditions). So even if I wanted the new Hold Mode, I probably wouldn't get to use it until Next April or so :(. But if you let off of the brake on the Volt it creeps (which I prefer regardless). I also like having both cars behaving similar so one more reason to have Creep on.

Your Bolt doesn't Creep?

My 2019 Volt runs almost exactly like my Tesla does in Creep mode. D and L on the Volt are just like Regen Low and Standard on the Tesla. The Paddle on the Volt does help avoid braking but still not a full stop.

Volt does have more aggressive regen and does apply it down to a slower speed. Volt Regen also doesn't seem impacted by the cold yet (30F, where my Model X is 100% limited Regen in the same conditions). So even if I wanted the new Hold Mode, I probably wouldn't get to use it until Next April or so :(. But if you let off of the brake on the Volt it creeps (which I prefer regardless). I also like having both cars behaving similar so one more reason to have Creep on.
The Bolt had "normal" D mode that basically drove like a normal car, very little regen, and then "L" mode it was 1-pedal driving. The Model 3, prior to Hold mode, regen'd nicely at speed, but you always had to use the breaks to slow it down, and I've always wished there was a way for it to completely slow itself down.

I just completed my first drive with the new v36.2.1 update in my Model 3P and I’m a very happy driver.
Most notable improvement is the one pedal driving capability. The new 'Hold' driving mode is absolutely fantastic, I honestly cannot remember having to touch the brake on any part of my journey on quite busy Cardiff roads including spell on M4. This included junctions, lights and other traffic stopping when I was in manual drive and not in Assisted Cruise Control or Autopilot
Another improvement I liked was the traffic visualization which now clearly show nice red traffic cones when encountered.
I didn't really test out the reported additional 5% power increase but as it already scares the bejeebers out of me I may be needing a good cardiologist soon.
It did feel a lot smoother especially on deceleration. One gripe is that when I'm on Navigate with Autopilot it still brakes for no reason when overtaking cars in slower lane. This does not happen when on regular Autopilot.
I'm not sure why they added the Hold button. Hold has been available in the 19 months I've owned my Model 3 as long as creep is switched off. I use cruise control and also autopilot on all local driving unless there is a reason not to. The car stops at lights and signs as long as I'm not the first car. After I stop, using Regen and the brake hold is applied.

Hold has been available in the 19 months I've owned my Model 3 as long as creep is switched off.

If by hold you mean the functionality that when you hard press the brake it goes into HOLD mode, then that functionality is there regardless of whether creep is on or off. This is one of the perplexing things to me about why the one pedal driving is such a big deal to some people. Other than the fact that you can literally come to a complete stop without rotating your right foot a whole 40 degrees, as long as you are willing and able to press the brake pedal, you can fairly easily get the behavior of being able to pull your foot back to a relaxing position while at a stop. I use that Hold function all the time at stop lights. But I also use creep mode every day as I pull into my garage.

Another thing I've recently noticed with this update (possibly HW3 required) is "Startup Time".

Prior, if you put your foot on the brake to "Start" the car and then quickly put it into reverse it was not always ready and would ignore it. You might have to click it into reverse 2-3 times if you try to quickly. If you waited a few seconds (until all the warning icons are done being displayed) after hitting the brake it would always go right into reverse, not a big deal. Also the backup camera was always a tiny bit laggy at first showing black for a moment then the camera, again, not a big deal. Now with this release it seems both are instant. I can put it right into reverse after hitting the brake and camera is up instantly. It also "blends" the camera in, which might give the appearance of it being quicker than it really is. Either way, it's all much more responsive and smoother.

I'm also a big fan of HOLD mode. I find that one pedal driving leads more efficient driving / use of the battery. I did take me a while to get used to it in reverse. I was either moving too fast or stopping when I wanted to keep moving backward.

I'm not sure why they added the Hold button. Hold has been available in the 19 months I've owned my Model 3 as long as creep is switched off. I use cruise control and also autopilot on all local driving unless there is a reason not to. The car stops at lights and signs as long as I'm not the first car. After I stop, using Regen and the brake hold is applied.

I've always turned "creep" off, The car would go into hold mode when I came to a stop using the brake pedal. With the update the car goes into hold when I slow to a stop without the brake,making full use of regen. Unlike the Leaf that I had prior, the Tesla's regen is aggressive enough to bring the car to a full stop. Great!