Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update without wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry I'm sure this has been asked before but I can find a relevant post.

Do I need to be connected to even get the notification that my car is ready to download the software update? Or is the car able to get the update via it's LTE and to install the update I need to connect to WiFi. Thanks

Do I need to be connected to even get the notification that my car is ready to download the software update? Or is the car able to get the update via it's LTE and to install the update I need to connect to WiFi. Thanks

You will get the notification that an update is available without having Wi-Fi. You only need Wi-Fi to download the update.

If you can’t get Wi-Fi for your home parking, some other options:

1. Cable Internet providers offer wireless service in many public places. If you have a subscription, try adding your ISP’s network and password to your 3.
  2. Find a friend with good wireless coverage in their garage or driveway. See if you can arrange a “sleep-over” for your car. Our S has to be parked in one special spot in our driveway to pick up our home network. When our daughter and her husband borrow it, the car parks in a spot with strong wireless. Frequently updates while they have it.
  3. Get a mobile hot-spot, set it up in your car, have the 3 join that network.
Pro tip - 3’s Wi-Fi antenna is in driver’s side rear view mirror. Park so back of the folded mirror faces wireless source.

I don't have WiFi (live in a high-rise). So this is the answer. You will get an indicator you have an update pending. When you get in your car you will see the yellow down arrow. When you see this it means you will need to connect to a WiFi to download the update. You can also see in the Software Menu. It will say "Update Available Please connect to WiFi...".

IMG_1855.jpeg

IMG_0677.jpeg

Last edited:
Cable Internet providers offer wireless service in many public places.
If you have a subscription, try adding your ISP’s network and password to your 3.
It is sometime difficult to log to your ASP or some public hotspot as you might need to open a Web page from your browser.

I would recommend looking at this thread to add a small router ($20) inside your car.

Here's another pro-tip, you can download the updates while driving:

1. Put the car into drive
2. Tap the LTE icon > WiFi settings
3. Turn on WiFi
4. Connect the car to your phone's hotspot
5. Update will start downloading in a few seconds and you can continue to drive the car

This video explains it well.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I tr
Here's another pro-tip, you can download the updates while driving:

1. Put the car into drive
2. Tap the LTE icon > WiFi settings
3. Turn on WiFi
4. Connect the car to your phone's hotspot
5. Update will start downloading in a few seconds and you can continue to drive the car

This video explains it well.
i try to do that but shortly after I start driving the car switched back to LTE not sure why

I tr

i try to do that but shortly after I start driving the car switched back to LTE not sure why

if I had to guess, it would be because you are connecting to your hotspot BEFORE you put the car in drive. If you follow the instructions in @dasn 's post, in that order, you should be ok should you want to do this.

Reactions: dasn
I've taken two trips to my in-laws remote lake house this year, and both times I've gotten an update notification. There is definitely no wired internet available at their house, and our phones only periodically connect to a tower in Canada, but only when we are in a certain corner of the house, and even then it drops in and out every few minutes. Definitely no hotspot available on our phones.

The car itself gets a pretty good signal though. I've even watched a YouTube video. But no update for me until I've returned the 800 miles to home.

I have downloaded two different software updates using my paid Lte without Wi-Fi in my 2018 PM3. I was away from home both times so there was no way it was connected to any Wi-Fi.

updates used to come out via LTE during the first year or so of the model 3. They then changed it to LTE notification and wifi only download. However, if the update is deemed critical or if they so choose they can still push it out via LTE. I had a bug where the front vents were actuating for on reason when parked. I called in to ask about it and they pushed an update to my car right then when I was driving. In general however, you need wifi now.

Reactions: RTPEV
If you can’t get Wi-Fi for your home parking, some other options:

1. Cable Internet providers offer wireless service in many public places. If you have a subscription, try adding your ISP’s network and password to your 3.
  2. Find a friend with good wireless coverage in their garage or driveway. See if you can arrange a “sleep-over” for your car. Our S has to be parked in one special spot in our driveway to pick up our home network. When our daughter and her husband borrow it, the car parks in a spot with strong wireless. Frequently updates while they have it.
  3. Get a mobile hot-spot, set it up in your car, have the 3 join that network.
Pro tip - 3’s Wi-Fi antenna is in driver’s side rear view mirror. Park so back of the folded mirror faces wireless source.

I figured this out on my own tonight but I should have searched the forum earlier because it cost me a couple hours. I have a very weak WiFi signal in the garage, and didn't realize the antenna was in the driver's side mirror. My signal was so weak that I had to refresh numerous times to wade through the much stronger SSIDs going to my garage. When I did try to connect, it would fail, or give a 'connected' message and then fail. Software update was stalled. Two reboots later (one soft, one harder) and no dice.

I checked my AT&T account for my Samsung Galaxy S10+ and I do have mobile hotspot capability. I enabled it, saw a full signal show up in the top spot on the Model 3 WiFi network list, logged in and boom—software update was green and back on track.

For those without WiFi or with weak WiFi signal where they live, definitely give the mobile hotspot a try if you have a modern smart phone.

Updates will happen over LTE eventually. I have a co-worker who lives in a hi-rise and their Model 3 is never connected to Wifi - that is to say they never ever have connected it to wifi since they took delivery (Dec 2018). Their car will fall a few months behind, then eventually will get pushed the current software... then fall a few months behind. Rinse and repeat. She does have premium connectivity, so that may factor in as well.

For those of us that are are update-hounds, this is completely unacceptable :eek:, but if you don't really care, it seems Tesla won't let you fall too far behind.