Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 Tesla Model S that I love. Six wonderful years of service and I have no intention of replacing it.

Tesla has suggested the currently offered software upgrade. Price quoted is $2,600!! Since I plan to keep my car forever, I am tempted by this upgrade.

Any experience among you??

I have a 2014 Tesla Model S that I love. Six wonderful years of service and I have no intention of replacing it.

Tesla has suggested the currently offered software upgrade. Price quoted is $2,600!! Since I plan to keep my car forever, I am tempted by this upgrade.

what software are you talking about? I thought software upgrades were free over the air

$2,600 for a software upgrade? My guess is you were quoted a $2,600 hardware upgrade which would be an upgrade from the MCU1 to MCU2. Use those search terms to see what the difference is to determine if it's "worth it" to you or not. Summary, it's the equivalent of upgrading your PC to a newer & faster one but for your car.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
2017 MS here. Just did the upgrade to MCU2 and couldn't be happier. Now I have all the entertainment functionality but most importantly the responsiveness of the nav system if much faster. Web browser now is actually usable and new instrument cluster works well and shows all the new visualizations. Should make any worries about the MCU1 memory failure issues moot.
Well worth the money from my perspective.

Plenty of experiences in this thread:
Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500
But majority for AP2 or above. PreAP and AP1 just beginning

Last edited: