Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 9/10 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is It really going to provide any additional features for a 2012 car aside from moving everything around and putting an entirely new skin on my touch screen. Basically it seems it's just going to make me have to relearn how to use my car again ? Anyone here have it yet?, Am I off the rails? Looks like the only perk is the ability to send a destination to your cars NAV (could do that with my Volt back in 2013)

My 2013 S got v9 today, along with my wife's 2015 AP1. We mostly drove the latter today, but I did play around with the UI in the 2103 right after it upgraded. The IC didn't seem to change, but the center console got the new UI.

FM direct tune works on both ours, it doesn't seem to be limited to MCU 2 as the release notes indicate.

I actually like the center console UI changes so far, and I've been asking for the ability to send a navigation destination to the car from my phone for years.

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
Is Chill Mode actually working for you? I don't feel a difference driving my '13 P85 with it enabled.
Have you got the option for Chill Mode on your ‘13 P85?
I’ve got a P85+ from 2013 (so, AP0) but do not have the option for Chill Mode. AFAIK only cars with AP1 and beyond got it with an update some time last winter.
I would love to get Chill Mode though.

Any changes to the Instrument Cluster on the Classic?
No IC changes that I have noticed.

I might not have noticed it before in 8.1, but climate control can be turned on and off by pushing the right scroll wheel (regardless of what is selected for IC display). When on, the temperature can be adjusted up or down with the scroll wheel.

The biggest change seems to be that the map is always displayed and always on top. The media player can be expanded to about two thirds of the screen but the other apps I tried are limited to a bit less than half.

The media player gets a dedicated icon on the bottom menu, so it can always be displayed or hidden with a single touch. Swiping changes the size.

For those who use it, the rear camera can only be displayed with the map and on the bottom. Except in reverse, when it displays on top, as before.

No IC changes that I have noticed.

I might not have noticed it before in 8.1, but climate control can be turned on and off by pushing the right scroll wheel (regardless of what is selected for IC display). When on, the temperature can be adjusted up or down with the scroll wheel.

The biggest change seems to be that the map is always displayed and always on top. The media player can be expanded to about two thirds of the screen but the other apps I tried are limited to a bit less than half.

The media player gets a dedicated icon on the bottom menu, so it can always be displayed or hidden with a single touch. Swiping changes the size.

For those who use it, the rear camera can only be displayed with the map and on the bottom. Except in reverse, when it displays on top, as before.

Is there no way to turn NAV off? This looks more and more like a step backwards. Don't have it yet but the more I see and read the less I like it.

Is there no way to turn NAV off? This looks more and more like a step backwards. Don't have it yet but the more I see and read the less I like it.
I couldn't find a way to fully use the entire map screen, at least while driving. I didn't try the browser.

Navigation is only initiated as before but the map remains when navigation is off. I nearly always had the map, in satellite view, on display anyway, so this change doesn't bother me.

The big change seems to be that you can't display two apps, other than the map, at the same time and the map is always on top. That is a step backward from before.

One improvement is that you can now have navigation ignore toll roads and HOV lanes.

Can someone post some photos of what the 17 inch screen and instrument cluster looks like with version 9 running, so I can get a better idea whether to install it when it is downloaded to my car.

I typically have the navigation showing on the top half of the 17 inch screen with either the media player or Waze running on the lower half of the screen, and would like to know what it looks like under version 9.

Further, when parking I display my front camera (Artsci’s canera mod) on the upper half of the screen in place of the navigation and would like to know whether that is still possible.

Thanks

Did all of you get the update will connected to Wifi? My car only connect with 1 bar on wifi in my garage. Parked it outside for 4 hours today where it gets full coverage and no update.

You are not alone.. I have not got it either as of today and I have excellent WIFI connectivity to the car every night as well as any other time I'm home. Most Tesla owners that I know along with many on here already have gotten the update. I do know that you can get updates over cellular internet (received two in the past while not connected to WIFI)

I guess they could lock it down to WIFI only much like some smart phone OS updates which will only download / install when WIFI connected.

I wish I knew how they decide which cars get it first. I do know that with each update I am on the tail end getting it after most everyone here and that I know personally who own a Tesla already have updated.

Do they just put it in the wind and it's just luck of the draw if your car grabs it??