Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar canopy superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings fellow electron riders.

I did a quick search on this for Canada but it does not seem that any of the maple flavoured superchargers have solar canopies. Does it make sense not to have solar power superchargers in Canada or should we expect this to be available in the future as a retrofit at some locations?

Thoughts?

The solar canopies would provide a tiny fraction of the energy required to run the superchargers. I'm guessing the cost of install is just not worth it. Over 80% of Canada's electricity comes from hydro, nuclear and non-hydro renewables, so there is minimal environmental benefit from it either.

Try doing the math on the maximum solar canopy size you can fit under the typical 10-20 stall Supercharger. Given a 20 stall SC site can draw up to about 1.3 megawatts, it's not worth it if you could just put the array on someone's roof instead. It takes quite a bit of steel to build that canopy..

I'd also say that the low angle of radiation make solar charging a lot harder as well.
But mostly, it takes a lot of solar cells to support a Supercharger.

For example, if you are thinking about charging at 100 kW, then you would need 1,000 100W panels @1000mm x 700mm each to provide that amount of power. And then you would want to add batteries to allow you to charge when the sun doesn't shine.

Here are the solar panels at the Rocklin, CA location. Lots on canopies and a few on the roof. This is a Service Center and also a Supercharger (19 stall) location.
Don't have any idea of power generated/used. This is a sunny location in California at 39 degrees North.
upload_2018-11-5_11-45-24.png

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo