TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Solar electric boat

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by AWDtsla, Jun 25, 2013.

1. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

2. Kwillscherer1026

Dang, that is sweet! Love the look.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I'd prefer to harness the sun's power with wind when talking about boats. Cool, but I don't see the advantage of solar PV versus wind (also solar power).

4. agentsmith1612

5. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I guess you've never been becalmed, or wanted to head directly into the wind? I'm a life long sailor and I see the advantage.

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I've been in some pretty weak winds. But never stranded. Tacking isn't really that difficult, so going into the wind isn't a big deal.

But with that solar boat you will be 'becalmed' every night without fail. And there will be plenty of times when there is cloud cover. I would imagine that the winds are more reliable, assuming you can stay out of the Intertropical Convergence Zone, than sunlight would be.

7. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I'm assuming the boat has a battery bank that can store energy. As for tacking, tacking into the wind in a narrow channel can be problematic to say the least. Sometimes it's nice to be able to travel in a straight line where you want to go. Let's face it, as much fun as sailing can be there is a reason most commercial ships are not sail powered.

8. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Great idea. 5000 years ago.

My mind, it's boggled.

- - - Updated - - -

Why have 60kW, when you could have 320kW?

9. Mookuh

Mookuh Member

Following the link, it's explained that the boat carries 8.5 tons worth of Li-Ion batteries, which take about 2 days to charge (I assume in full sunlight) and are enough to power the boat for 72 hours. So it can keep moving at night easily.

And I assume using smaller engines is a cost/weight saver. Additionally your speed is limited by the power you can take in via the solar panels, not via the motors I assume, so you don't gain much other than the ability to "sprint".

10. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Well it says average 5 knots.

I am pretty sure caravels in the 1400s would average about 4-5knots. (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~vaucher/Genealogy/Documents/Asia/asiaShips.html#caravel) So I don't think 'about as fast as a sail boat.' is really accurate. Maybe a smallish (30') monohull non-racing sailboat would average about 5 knots. But at the cost of this thing I think a more appropriate comparison would be something like a Medium (60') sized multihull sailboat, say like this http://www.gunboat.com/series/gunboat-60.

And there are LOTS of reports of doing over 300+ miles in a day (~11 knots) in this thing. Not to mention it can berth more people. It not only has solar panels, and electric drive motors. It can also regen power from the props while sailing.

And with this solar boat being 35m (115') long you could probably put together a gigantor catamaran sail boat that would easily cruise faster than the solar thing could top out at.

This 36m catamaran did 700+ miles in a day, or almost 30knots average. Granted this thing is a racing rig, but still it berthed 13 people.
    http://www.gizmag.com/go/5675/

11. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

#11 JRP3, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

12. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

#12 ElSupreme, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I agree.
    Yeah when you have a rigid carbon fiber and mylar wing it's tough to deal with high gusting winds properly.
    Combined with weighing in less than my GTI did but being 45' long and 70' tall is not really conducive to not tipping over.

But a fast-cruise 60'-70' sail catamaran could easily double the speed of that thing.