Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar electric boat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess you've never been becalmed, or wanted to head directly into the wind? I'm a life long sailor and I see the advantage.

I've been in some pretty weak winds. But never stranded. Tacking isn't really that difficult, so going into the wind isn't a big deal.

But with that solar boat you will be 'becalmed' every night without fail. And there will be plenty of times when there is cloud cover. I would imagine that the winds are more reliable, assuming you can stay out of the Intertropical Convergence Zone, than sunlight would be.

I'm assuming the boat has a battery bank that can store energy. As for tacking, tacking into the wind in a narrow channel can be problematic to say the least. Sometimes it's nice to be able to travel in a straight line where you want to go. Let's face it, as much fun as sailing can be there is a reason most commercial ships are not sail powered.

I'd prefer to harness the sun's power with wind when talking about boats. Cool, but I don't see the advantage of solar PV versus wind (also solar power).

Great idea. 5000 years ago.

My mind, it's boggled.

- - - Updated - - -

they only need 60 kW because this catamaran design have much less water resistance in comparison to a normal boat design.

Why have 60kW, when you could have 320kW?

Following the link, it's explained that the boat carries 8.5 tons worth of Li-Ion batteries, which take about 2 days to charge (I assume in full sunlight) and are enough to power the boat for 72 hours. So it can keep moving at night easily.

And I assume using smaller engines is a cost/weight saver. Additionally your speed is limited by the power you can take in via the solar panels, not via the motors I assume, so you don't gain much other than the ability to "sprint".

Well it says average 5 knots.

The captain uses a more traditional map to plan PlanetSolar's upcoming trip to Boston. The ship has a max speed of 14 knots, but averages 5 knots — about a fast as a sail boat. The trip to Boston should take about two and a half days.

I am pretty sure caravels in the 1400s would average about 4-5knots. (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~vaucher/Genealogy/Documents/Asia/asiaShips.html#caravel) So I don't think 'about as fast as a sail boat.' is really accurate. Maybe a smallish (30') monohull non-racing sailboat would average about 5 knots. But at the cost of this thing I think a more appropriate comparison would be something like a Medium (60') sized multihull sailboat, say like this http://www.gunboat.com/series/gunboat-60.

And there are LOTS of reports of doing over 300+ miles in a day (~11 knots) in this thing. Not to mention it can berth more people. It not only has solar panels, and electric drive motors. It can also regen power from the props while sailing.

And with this solar boat being 35m (115') long you could probably put together a gigantor catamaran sail boat that would easily cruise faster than the solar thing could top out at.

This 36m catamaran did 700+ miles in a day, or almost 30knots average. Granted this thing is a racing rig, but still it berthed 13 people.
http://www.gizmag.com/go/5675/

I agree.
Yeah when you have a rigid carbon fiber and mylar wing it's tough to deal with high gusting winds properly.
Combined with weighing in less than my GTI did but being 45' long and 70' tall is not really conducive to not tipping over.

But a fast-cruise 60'-70' sail catamaran could easily double the speed of that thing.

Last edited by a moderator: