Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Glass Roof on new construction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I heard/read somewhere that Tesla was open to installing a Solar Glass Roof on a new construction home. I am adding a second level to my home (obviously with a newly constructed roof) and I was hoping to go with a SGR. Tesla is telling me they aren't doing new construction for SGR though.

Has anyone heard anything one way or the other? Not that I don't trust the info that the person in the energy dept. gave me, but Tesla call centers have been wrong before....

I'll need the new roof installed sometime between June and September 2020.

Knowing the way Tesla scheduling works, I would not subject my construction project to that. Until they explicitly say that they have a program and personnel dedicated to new construction, I would not go anywhere near it.

That said, it may be worthwhile to put the cheapest possible roofing material that will pass inspection and certificate of occupancy and then proceed with Tesla if you are in an area where they are currently installing. Your forum location says Maryland. Tesla has only identified California, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Hawaii, Florida as the initial installation states. You should see how the rollout goes through the Spring and then decide. Tesla sounds like they are serious about ramping it up, but you never know how fast it will really go.