Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

solar home installers for Orange County, CA and cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi if I have the equipment already for a 5 kw solar system with panels, inverter, racks, etc - what should the rough ball park installation cost be for a typical single story family home?

Also does anyone have any recommended installers for Orange County area?

I'm in the planning stages now and tired of the ridiculous rates from SDG&E, want to start doing my homework and hopefully get it installed this spring.

Robert

Vivint and Tesla both quoted about 45k for 10kw system for my home. It was double that of normal solar companies at 28k and I got a 6k rebate plus the 30%. so 22k and 6k back in tax. Not sure why they feel the need to double the normal..

Also, I did an extensive amount of math and came to the conclusion that going solar is an absolute no brainer if the following conditions are met:

(1) You have a south facing roof with little or no shade from trees, neighbors house, etc.
(2) You plan to live in your house for at least five years.
(3) It is unlikely anyone will buy your house with the intent of tearing it down within 25 years.
(4) You don't live in a very low end home and/or in a very low income area.
(5) You have enough capital to buy the solar equipment out right. Selling your long term bonds or stocks is perfectly fine to raise cash, as the effective returns far exceed stocks or bonds.
(6) You have net metering in your area.

If all conditions are met, the returns (value of electricity produced by solar) are much greater than stocks, the savings are tax free, and there's no volatility or risk. It works out to an effective return of like 11% per year when compared to a taxable investment like stock.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Here in my country we can not go below 50% of the current bill. You also get a 35 surcharge just to be allowed solar.
You can fiance it 0 out of pocket and pay the same you have been paying electric company for 10/15 years and you still get the 30% write off.

Hi if I have the equipment already for a 5 kw solar system with panels, inverter, racks, etc - what should the rough ball park installation cost be for a typical single story family home?

Also does anyone have any recommended installers for Orange County area?

I'm in the planning stages now and tired of the ridiculous rates from SDG&E, want to start doing my homework and hopefully get it installed this spring.

Robert
Let us know what you end up paying. It would be difficult to find someone to just install your system instead of buying from an installer. It costs $4 watt for a system here but that includes the system.