Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar & Powerwall without DNO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are not on the TEP. In our last bill, we imported 822.8kWh at 5p plus 1.0kWh at 15.59p, making net average cost of 5p per kWh.

We exported a generous 6kWh and received nothing, but did get £144.74 from FIT.

I'm sure the TEP will work for some of us, but not for me.

We are not on the TEP. In our last bill, we imported 822.8kWh at 5p plus 1.0kWh at 15.59p, making net average cost of 5p per kWh.

We exported a generous 6kWh and received nothing, but did get £144.74 from FIT.

I'm sure the TEP will work for some of us, but not for me.

not discounting your figures but what was your generation? Isn’t TEP based on net generation vs consumption? if your overall generation = consumption then you’re 0p/kwh regardless of when during the day they’re generated/consumed - the battery used by Octopus but you’re net metered.

So the price per kwh isn’t great now (24p?) but that only kicks in the more the differential between generated:consumed grows

not discounting your figures but what was your generation? Isn’t TEP based on net generation vs consumption? if your overall generation = consumption then you’re 0p/kwh regardless of when during the day they’re generated/consumed - the battery used by Octopus but you’re net metered.

So the price per kwh isn’t great now (24p?) but that only kicks in the more the differential between generated:consumed grows
Generation 840kWh, Consumption 1.5MWh (July calendar month), billing was mid-July to mid-August. Some rounding there. Paying for 800kW at 24p would have been 5x my cost.☹️

Reactions: btc1k
Ah. When I was estimating usage I assumed a ToU tariff so left the EV out assuming overnight charging. Net metering would be skewed quite a bit with that..
Yes, for the past few months, we have used surplus solar to charge both our EVs and have not had to use off-peak GO. When using surplus solar, the Powerwall assumes this is house usage. When it is very sunny, I don't top up the PW during the off-peak period.

There are so many variables; 2 PWs are so much better than one and will help in the spring and autumn.

Reactions: Mrklaw