Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

solar production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey charlesj, in the process of getting a new roof and a medium Tesla solar panel setup. Live in Monterey myself and was wondering how close you are to generating what the system was designed for.

I am up on the hill by vet park.
I think the design was around 3.9/4.0. The highest peak production was 14 May 2012 at 3.82 kWh, two month after install.
I never had one one since but I do see them at 3.5 kWh at time.
Best day production was 27. 622 kWH 8 Jun 2012
I do see 25 kWh but the weather is the big issue.
Annual production went from 6.05 mWh in 2019 to 6.68 mWh in 2013. 2019 was the worst year so far, 2018 was 6.257 mWh, 2016 was 6.08.
As you can see, so much of this is the weather.

Do you have shady parts on your roof when the system will be? Consider micro inverters for each panel.

I am up on the hill by vet park.
I think the design was around 3.9/4.0. The highest peak production was 14 May 2012 at 3.82 kWh, two month after install.
I never had one one since but I do see them at 3.5 kWh at time.
Best day production was 27. 622 kWH 8 Jun 2012
I do see 25 kWh but the weather is the big issue.
Annual production went from 6.05 mWh in 2019 to 6.68 mWh in 2013. 2019 was the worst year so far, 2018 was 6.257 mWh, 2016 was 6.08.
As you can see, so much of this is the weather.

Do you have shady parts on your roof when the system will be? Consider micro inverters for each panel.
Thanks for the additional information, very helpful!

I do have shading and closer to the coast, so fog is also an issue. I'm for sure going to request a quote for a system with micro inverters. Tesla's quoted system is for QCell panels and a Delta inverter. Have also been advised to ask for an upgraded panel to see if there are other options but think my concern is more with the inverter than the panels themselves.

May want to get a quote from Solex in Monterey for the panel install only.
I purchased the parts from them after my research and matched the price I got from other suppliers.
I installed the system myself.;) :)

With shading, micro is a must in my opinion to get max benefit from all panels individually.