Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A year of solar production in one image

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

offandonagain

Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2022
SF Bay Area
I wrote a script to download data using the Tesla API and used it to generate these charts.

Some observations:
  • Lots of pre-PTO curtailment until mid-August when we finally got PTO. I still managed to get full production on some days by charging my EV from solar and avoiding curtailment.
  • Winter production was even lower than usual since all my panels are north-facing.
  • Inverter clipping at 7.6kW, but overall it's only a ~2% reduction in yearly production (based on PVWatts).
  • The system has a yearly production of ~15MWh (12.8kW array, SF Bay Area)

Attachments

• solar-year.png
    solar-year.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 246
Thats really good production for all North facing. I have East and West 11.8 kW system that produces almost exactly 15 MWh yearly in Sacramento area. You probably have more efficiency in the summer than I do because of the heat here

Thats really good production for all North facing. I have East and West 11.8 kW system that produces almost exactly 15 MWh yearly in Sacramento area. You probably have more efficiency in the summer than I do because of the heat here
Anything above about 90F and things go downhill quickly, even with free standing solar panels, in my experience.

I wrote a script to download data using the Tesla API and used it to generate these charts.

Some observations:
  • Lots of pre-PTO curtailment until mid-August when we finally got PTO. I still managed to get full production on some days by charging my EV from solar and avoiding curtailment.
  • Winter production was even lower than usual since all my panels are north-facing.
  • Inverter clipping at 7.6kW, but overall it's only a ~2% reduction in yearly production (based on PVWatts).
Interesting to see the difference between SF and SoCal. I was looking at the little bell curves and think "wow there're a lot of cloudy days". I have a 12kW system and last year (my 5th year of installing the system) the yearly production was 21.6MWh. My panels are south facing.

Interesting to see the difference between SF and SoCal. I was looking at the little bell curves and think "wow there're a lot of cloudy days". I have a 12kW system and last year (my 5th year of installing the system) the yearly production was 21.6MWh. My panels are south facing.

It was a very wet winter in NorCal (finally!).
But most of my production losses are from north roof orientation (~20% loss) and some tree shading in the morning and evening (another ~10%).

Here's what one year's production looks like in northern NH. I lose almost a half day in winter due to tree shading. 17.5kW in panels with 14.7kW in inverter capacity. Panels face south and I adjust the vertical throughout the year.

1684934176947.png

Here's what one year's production looks like in northern NH. I lose almost a half day in winter due to tree shading. 17.5kW in panels with 14.7kW in inverter capacity. Panels face south and I adjust the vertical throughout the year.

Thanks for sharing, that is an impressive array! I don't think I have seen Northern NH data before
Nice graph too. I presume the Y axis is kWh

Some observations:
what did you use to generate the plot? I downloaded your script to get the data and it works great :)

• Helpful
Reactions: n.one.one