Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar PV and Powerwall Install - What to Expect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RoBoRaT

PoPeYeD'SaiLoRDuDe
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
Hello All!

Tomorrow will be our install of 10.72 kW Solar system and Powerwalls.

32 LG 335 PV panels on W 260° roof and 2 Powerwalls

BU Gateway + 200A Subpanel on southside external wall

2 SE3800 inverters and 2 Powerwalls inside the garage opposite side of BUG/Subpanel.

I've read here that PW internet connection is ok by wireless. Should I even bother running ethernet cable from garage to 2nd floor router?

Any other tips, or things that are usually overlooked, or I need to watch out for the solar system/Powerwall install?

Thanks for your insight!
RBRT

I have quite a long distance between home and Powerwall location. I extended my home mesh network to a node closest to (but still > 100 ft. from) Powerwalls. This has been rock solid (in my limited online time since last week) and the only time Powerwall fell back to cellular was during installation and the 24-hour “learning period.” If you do this, note that it only connects to 2.4GHz networks, and I recommend using the secondary SSID broadcast of your last mesh node so you can always force the Powerwall to connect to that node rather than a node further away.

That said, Tesla recommends having Powerwalls connected to all 3 network types - the install portal has a quick network test of all 3. If you install a jack near the Powerwall location, the advantage is your installer may take care of installing the cable, which may require a separate raceway depending on cable type. If you supply your own ethernet cable, it is likely not rated to share same conduit as power conductors.

In my son's install, there were a lot of people involved in the final "go live": Tesla, power utility, electrician, electrical inspector, building inspector. Each one presents an opportunity to drop the ball in terms of communication. In his case, Tesla was waiting and waiting for the electrical inspector to communicate approval to the power company. But it wasn't on the electrical inspectors "to do" list. All it took was a phone call from my son to the inspector; but no one followed up.

In my son's install, there were a lot of people involved in the final "go live": Tesla, power utility, electrician, electrical inspector, building inspector. Each one presents an opportunity to drop the ball in terms of communication. In his case, Tesla was waiting and waiting for the electrical inspector to communicate approval to the power company. But it wasn't on the electrical inspectors "to do" list. All it took was a phone call from my son to the inspector; but no one followed up.

I will watch them closely and not let them drop the "power" ball. ;);)

Thanks for the tip.

@RoBoRaT There are usually two ports on the inverter, where it serves as a Ethernet hub/switch. Ideally daisy chain from the inverter. That's what I did. Can't go wrong with a wired connection. I recommend mentioning this to the lead electrician twice a day, so they don't drop the ball. Tesla did drop the ball, and the supervisor said that to me during inspection, but could not dispatch a team immediately until a few months out. I ended doing it myself using special-order 600V sheathed Cat 6 cable. It is probably easier for them to do a dedicated communications conduit using ordinary Cat 6 because they likely won't have the 600V cable on-hand.

On another note, SunWorks did a dedicated pvc conduit from the Comm box which goes to the solar inverter. It's a Cadillac-like install because I would not allow them to (homeowners demand not code related) route Ethernet cables unprotected.

@RoBoRaT There are usually two ports on the inverter, where it serves as a Ethernet hub/switch. Ideally daisy chain from the inverter. That's what I did. Can't go wrong with a wired connection. I recommend mentioning this to the lead electrician twice a day, so they don't drop the ball. Tesla did drop the ball, and the supervisor said that to me during inspection, but could not dispatch a team immediately until a few months out. I ended doing it myself using special-order 600V sheathed Cat 6 cable. It is probably easier for them to do a dedicated communications conduit using ordinary Cat 6 because they likely won't have the 600V cable on-hand.

On another note, SunWorks did a dedicated pvc conduit from the Comm box which goes to the solar inverter. It's a Cadillac-like install because I would not allow them to (homeowners demand not code related) route Ethernet cables unprotected.

My installer agreed to run hardwire by ethernet, but not mention running dedicated conduit just for ethernet. They will do this tomorrow.

You are saying, that they need to use a specific ethernet cable if not on its own conduit - this 600V cable. I will ensure then that they use 600V cable, if not risking to fail inspection.

Thanks.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Here are some photos of the Solar array.
The Powerwalls need touchup on the walls, will post pictures after cleanup.

Waiting for commisioning, inspections by AHJ, then PTO by SCE.

Thanks again for your help! ;)
Screenshot_20190517-234714_YouTube.jpg
20190404_215455.jpg
Screenshot_20190517-235011_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20190517-235149_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20190516-054517_YouTube.jpg

@RoBoRaT That looks awesome and very symmetrical. Is that a lightweight tile roof — what is the method for mounting the standoffs beyond removing tiles? How did the process of relocating plumbing vents go? And I cannot see where the bathroom vent moved to.

Screenshot_20190518-100932_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20190518-101020_Video Player.jpg
@RoBoRaT That looks awesome and very symmetrical. Is that a lightweight tile roof — what is the method for mounting the standoffs beyond removing tiles? How did the process of relocating plumbing vents go? And I cannot see where the bathroom vent moved to.

Thanks.

The tiles are not light weight. They used QuickmountPV products:

Solar Panel Installation on Tile Roofs | Solar Roof Tiles | Tile Replacement Mount | No Tile-Cutting

The plumb vents were relocated within the attic - using PVC pipes. My installer did pretty well, better than how the house builder's work!

They did not want to move "heat" vents, so I rerouted the bathroom vent to the side soffit - then they sealed/retiled the spot.

Orig design was 35 panels, would have maxed the roof but limited to 32 - still came out nice and met code reqs.

Hello All!

Tomorrow will be our install of 10.72 kW Solar system and Powerwalls.

32 LG 335 PV panels on W 260° roof and 2 Powerwalls

BU Gateway + 200A Subpanel on southside external wall

2 SE3800 inverters and 2 Powerwalls inside the garage opposite side of BUG/Subpanel.

I've read here that PW internet connection is ok by wireless. Should I even bother running ethernet cable from garage to 2nd floor router?

Any other tips, or things that are usually overlooked, or I need to watch out for the solar system/Powerwall install?

Thanks for your insight!
RBRT
How has everything been with your PV system?
I'm thinking about adding more panels.
Who did the install ? Did you purchase through the Tesla website?