Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarGlass installs in NY, anyone here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeking advice if you’re in NY state and had SolarGlass installed. Have questions regarding overall experience, permitting, timeline, system config, number of PW, incentives, etc.

Just ordered mine last week and the config they gave me is for a 9.5KW system with 2 PWs. It’s supposed to produce around 11,000 KWh per year. I looked at my electric bills for 2019 and I supposed to have used about 9800KWh of electricity for the entire year.

Question for the solar experts, do you think that’s about right? Do I have enough cushion? Sorry for the noob questions. Also, are the 2 PWs enough? I have a 200Amp service, if that matters. I’m a complete noob when it comes to this subject so any advice/tips are appreciated.

Seeking advice if you’re in NY state and had SolarGlass installed. Have questions regarding overall experience, permitting, timeline, system config, number of PW, incentives, etc.

Just ordered mine last week and the config they gave me is for a 9.5KW system with 2 PWs. It’s supposed to produce around 11,000 KWh per year. I looked at my electric bills for 2019 and I supposed to have used about 9800KWh of electricity for the entire year.

Question for the solar experts, do you think that’s about right? Do I have enough cushion? Sorry for the noob questions. Also, are the 2 PWs enough? I have a 200Amp service, if that matters. I’m a complete noob when it comes to this subject so any advice/tips are appreciated.

I'm in Orange County NY and had a Tesla solar/powerwall installation in October 2018. My area is serviced out of the old Solar City office (now Tesla) in New Windsor NY. I was very impressed with their work. I have a 6.5kw solar array and two PW's. We have Orange and Rockland as our utility provider and knock on wood, the system has performed flawlessly.

Annual production was estimated in our contract at 6508kwh. In calendar year 2019, the system produced 6360kwh....so they were pretty accurate. For that same month time period, we consumed 10300kwh. This represented about a 60% offset.

How do you intend to use your Powerwalls? I use them for backup power only as we live in very rural area and have frequent grid outages. Coupled with solar, we can pretty much sustain off grid indefinitely by just running essentials.

I love the system...couldn't be happier. It was basically 1/2 price with the Federal and NYS state tax credits.

Happy to take a quick phone call and answer any questions that you have if you want to PM me.

Thanks for the info. I live in OC as well, in Central Valley and I'm all too familiar with the power outages. That is the primary reason I want to have the PWs so I can be self sustainable. I'd like to be able to run as much as possible off of them, including AC. Based on what I read so far, 2 PWs may not be enough to run a centralized AC unit. That's why I want to add perhaps one more PW.

You're correct about the incentives, that's why we're springing for the Solar Glass, since after the incentives, my system will be a bit lower than what I pay O&R currently. Adding the PWs will add about $14k to the cost, which the way I justify it, could easily be the cost of an inline, whole-house generator that runs on diesel, gas or natural gas.

I'll PM you my contact info in a bit and I really appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I live in OC as well, in Central Valley and I'm all too familiar with the power outages. That is the primary reason I want to have the PWs so I can be self sustainable. I'd like to be able to run as much as possible off of them, including AC. Based on what I read so far, 2 PWs may not be enough to run a centralized AC unit. That's why I want to add perhaps one more PW.

You're correct about the incentives, that's why we're springing for the Solar Glass, since after the incentives, my system will be a bit lower than what I pay O&R currently. Adding the PWs will add about $14k to the cost, which the way I justify it, could easily be the cost of an inline, whole-house generator that runs on diesel, gas or natural gas.

I'll PM you my contact info in a bit and I really appreciate the advice. Thanks!

you really need to do the math. each PW is good for about 5kw continuous output (so 10kw ouput total for the pair). our install crew put a soft start device on our single outside central AC unit. When running the AC pulls about 3kw I think. Unless you are getting decent solar production, you will quickly drain the 27kwh capacity of the two PW's running a big central AC, electric dryer, electric oven, etc.. During grid outages, my strategy is to limit consumption to essentials until there is meaningful solar production to offset. You need to think about dark rainy days, snow and ice on your roof, etc.....and plan consumption around that. We've had outages where we've had no solar production for 72 hours due to snow and ice on the roof. And on dark rainy days, you can expect almost zero production.

• Informative
Reactions: morbidz