Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my MYSR and ordered a MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All this worry about "performance" when the long range will beat almost everything at the light. And once you've grown old enough, those noisy Hondas don't even warrant a curious look. Most of my driving is not across intersections, but down highways, as I suspect most everyone else's is. So, worrying about some noisy toy car next to you is ridiculous. I just look at them, smile, and drive normally (Wifey doesn't like me to race), which usually leaves them behind anyway. This car is QUICK compared to gas cars.
For me it's a bit of buyers remorse on how much I spent on my LR Y with FSD and acceleration boost and I'm thinking "why the heck didn't I order a Performance" initially and push off FSD for a couple years (or, as it turns out, have the monthly option now!)

I also partly want to get into a model that has the HEPA and matrix headlights, even if those headlights likely will be a fairly useless feature (if the auto high beams are anything to go off of, lol)

I'm in a tough situation right now where I can't really go very long without a car (mother is in the middle of major medical treatments that require daily transportation). If I had been able to swing by a Seattle Tesla store and trade in and drive away with a Demo I would have jumped on it, but Tesla won't even give me a trade estimate and I gave up on trying to hunt for when they let go of their in store inventory... though I did notice University Village is now empty inside when they DID used to have a red Y in there a couple weeks ago, wouldn't be surprised if that was a Performance too...

Edit: Tesla has got to make a pretty penny off their used cars. Even if they send them off to be "cleaned" by a 3rd party and listed on their Tesla site, that can't be more than a few hundred bucks to maybe a thousand per car. Tesla is selling my exact same car (but with over twice as many miles) for $77,100! That's only a $4,000 discount off brand new for almost 2 years old AND 20k+ miles! Offer me $70k trade value, list for $77 to $78k and make an easy $6k or so off the deal plus you sell a Performance, lol Then I can get into a Red/White Performance for ~$4,500 after tax, or a White or MSM Performance for $2,400 after tax! I would be there first thing in the morning!

Last edited:
Edit: Tesla has got to make a pretty penny off their used cars. Even if they send them off to be "cleaned" by a 3rd party and listed on their Tesla site, that can't be more than a few hundred bucks to maybe a thousand per car. Tesla is selling my exact same car (but with over twice as many miles) for $77,100! That's only a $4,000 discount off brand new for almost 2 years old AND 20k+ miles! Offer me $70k trade value, list for $77 to $78k and make an easy $6k or so off the deal plus you sell a Performance, lol Then I can get into a Red/White Performance for ~$4,500 after tax, or a White or MSM Performance for $2,400 after tax! I would be there first thing in the morning!
I don't know what the average or expected profit off of a used car is but $6k on a $70k trade in value is 8.5%. That doesn't seem out of line at first blush.