Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solid white or pearl white

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cant decide on solid white or pearl white. Any comments are welcome. My order will be confirmed on 1/19, not much time left.

Dear Pearl, see my post below. Don't buy the pearl paint. Wasteful. Polluting. Get something simple to repair. Tell Elon and his designers to get rid of the pearl idea for environmental reasons. Im hoping the public will understand why. Its a car.
Joe Vecchio fireman and auto design engineer, Skaneateles Lake, NY

PS: Go Tesla 4x light weight hatch backs that are wide enough to receive 8 sheets of plywood, like the 1986 dodge colt did. Now I can bring wood to my camp without a truck. Plus the front seat comes out easily with two clips, for added room. I don't want/need 5 friends going with me when I drive. Want t race, Elon?

Pearl comes from processing natural gas, plus it has to be blended into the neighboring panels. Why so wasteful? Plus people have to mix that toxic stuff.
Do you have a source for this? Pearl white on a Tesla isn't pearlescent, it's metal flake. But I honestly don't know the source of metal flake - and I couldn't find it easily online. Thanks.

Joe must really hate the MC Red too because it's derived from the same multi-coat process. The pearl white has iridescent flakes in the paint as well as a multi-coat clear topcoat process that introduces a bit of pearlescence. I have no inside knowledge of what Tesla is doing for their process here, but there are some on the market that are not any more environmentally damaging than the other metallic paints. The multi-coat finishes do use more material, and are more wasteful, than one coating material type and take more time. That is why the $1500 premium for pearl white and MC red. Repairing damaged areas on the pearl white or MC red takes a lot more effort and skill. Frankly, that level of work is usually beyond the ability of most body shops to do it right and takes a specialized paint shop to do it right. And yes, requires a much larger area of re-painting and blending.

Do you have a source for this? Pearl white on a Tesla isn't pearlescent, it's metal flake. But I honestly don't know the source of metal flake - and I couldn't find it easily online. Thanks.

??? Sure looks pearlescent to me... It's a bit subdued and not in your face pearlescent, but definitely pearly. The metallic flake is also somewhat iridescent and not simply sparkly metallic as we see on the "metallic white" type paints from Ford, Toyota, etc..

I like both the solid white and the pearl white. They're both white, but completely different. Still keeping with my adivce several posts back, try and see each for yourself and go with whichever one you like best. We ordered the pearl for ours. However, after seeing a handful of X's in person now, I have to say that my favorite color configuration is the midnight silver with the white seats. Which is what I wanted to order, but my wife was refusing the midnight silver after we have owned several dark grey cars over the past 10 or so years. Oh well... We both agreed on the pearl. And yeah, I'm still very happy with that choice too, having seen one in person. Don't know when our X will actually arrive...

Sure looks pearlescent to me... It's a bit subdued and not in your face pearlescent, but definitely pearly.
When I think of pearlescent, I think of the actual mother-of-pearl pastel rainbow like reflections. I've seen pearl whites that look like that, and our two Pearl White Teslas definitely don't. It has a slight flake in it, but it reflects white. More than anything, the Pearl White has a depth to it compared to the Solid White - and a very fine flake. But I would certainly not call it standard pearlescent.

Pearl white is inefficient. You have to buy two cans of paint. One can for the white and one can for the pearl. Pearl comes from processing natural gas, plus it has to be blended into the neighboring panels. Why so wasteful? Plus people have to mix that toxic stuff. Why have pearl at all if this EV idea is about helping the earth. Don't buy a pearl car. Pearls are for sissies.

My cannibalized redesigned Tesla 4x from a house fire has zero options. All electric. 300 miles to a charge. That's the way to go. I can row down the windows myself. Lock it myself. I don't need a TV screen to tell me where to go. What a waste of REEs.
I need no AC. I'll give my extra money to wounded soldiers. Go T4x. let me design your next car.
Please post pix of yer cannibalized model s or even a rendering

Pearl white is inefficient. You have to buy two cans of paint. One can for the white and one can for the pearl. Pearl comes from processing natural gas, plus it has to be blended into the neighboring panels. Why so wasteful? Plus people have to mix that toxic stuff. Why have pearl at all if this EV idea is about helping the earth. Don't buy a pearl car. Pearls are for sissies.

My cannibalized redesigned Tesla 4x from a house fire has zero options. All electric. 300 miles to a charge. That's the way to go. I can row down the windows myself. Lock it myself. I don't need a TV screen to tell me where to go. What a waste of REEs.
I need no AC. I'll give my extra money to wounded soldiers. Go T4x. let me design your next car.
Please post pix of your model s or at least a rendering... I like seeing the car being used in real world working mode !

Hi,
I have solid white on order. I like idea of chrome delete. which chrome you deleted? did you do any changes in front and back logos? how much approx.
Thanks for your help.

I've had both, definitely prefer the white, and if you ever need to touch-up or paint, the white is WAY better for matching. The metal flakes in the Pearl are almost impossible to color match.

Plus, you save $. The white looks absolutely awesome with a chrome delete:

tesla-my-sc1-sm.jpg

I was going to get the plain white. Husband said if I wanted white, I needed to get the pearl. I couldn't tell initially, but after paint correction and clear guard, I could really tell. I do like the sparkles. Of course, I like the sparkles in my metallic black F150 too.

Reactions: ModelX
Well I called Powder Coating Powder, Colors & Supplies | Prismatic Powders

They clame to have 6500 different colors of powedercoat

They looked up the Tesla paint code for Pearl White, they said it will take 2 layers of powercoats to match our color. Because its second layer, it doesn't need a clear layer.

My car is supposed to show up this Thursday, can't wait to see my first Tesla

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190226-213944_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20190226-213944_Email.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 100