Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solowheel Personal Commuter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Half Dollar Bill

Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant, innkeeper
Oct 19, 2013
Freeport Maine
I saw someone using this in Reston VA the other day. At first I was confused at what I was looking at. Then I was intrigued.
Home - SOLOWHEEL

10 mph and 10 mile range make it useful. Much of the battery detail seems similar to what would be discussed with an electric car.

It didn't occur to me to stop and talk to the gentleman but if I see him again I'm certain I will. We're thinking about taking our bikes on a National Park trip this summer but this would be another possibility if it wasn't so pricey. Definitely fits in the frunk! Both the stalking behavior and the pricing discussion remind me of my early Model S experience.

That thing could be a great complement to public transport, as the problem with actual public transport here (in Belgium) is that it leaves you somewhere between 1 and 5 km of where you actually want to be. That is within the range of the Solowheel.

The 10 mile rated range is for a load of 55kg (~120 lbs), at 85kg (~190 lbs) it is 11km (~6,7 miles), according to the manufacturer's specs. The maximum load is 100kg (~220 lbs.)

Ha, now I want one ! :D

Xtreme model rated load is 130 kg. Even I could use it!

Well, I have looked at some more video and reviews, and it seems that Inventist did change the spec for their only model (aka the 'Classic') a few times, so that earlier reviews are now outdated. The latest review (20 mars 2015) I found for the Classic model indicates a 20km/h (~12,5 mph) max speed, 1,5kW motor power, 196Wh battery, and 20km (~12 miles) range, which is better than what is quoted on the manufacturer's website (but the review shows a picture of the tech specs printed on one of the foot support, and most of it seems to be right. :confused: )
(That range is for a weight of 75kg (~165 lbs), in the city and at 20°C (68°F))

Oh, and it seems that they are late for the first deliveries of their next-gen models. (Humm… seems to remind me of some other company, but I can't recall the name. ;-) )

Two things surprised me with these Solowheels. The max draw on the battery seems extreme. 1,5kW from a 196Wh battery pack means something like 7-8C. That seems huge to me. (No idea if the Solowheel is rated max output or continuous.)
The battery chemistry seems to be LiFePO[SUB]4[/SUB]. Not sure about it.

That and the efficiency this thing gets : 20km gets you 9,8Wh/km or 62,7miles/kWh. :cool:

I got a similar device

INMOTION V3-INMOTION unicycle SCV on Vimeo

Fits in the frunk.

When Supercharging it takes me to a nearby restaurant and back in no time. Very convenient and fun to ride. Now if I could get the Model S to charge it ...

Well, an easy solution would be to get an inverter (or is it converter ?) and tap into your car's 12DC to provide 220V AC for the charger. I guess your unicycle charger draws less than 200W, so a 200W inverter would suffice.
It won't be very efficient, but it should barely make a dent in your car's battery.

Oh and it is indeed a great idea to have such a device in your frunk for charging sessions. Or I guess it could also be used when you have to park far from where you want to go when in the city.

I got a similar device

INMOTION V3-INMOTION unicycle SCV on Vimeo

Fits in the frunk.

When Supercharging it takes me to a nearby restaurant and back in no time. Very convenient and fun to ride. Now if I could get the Model S to charge it ...

I'm curious if you feel that the bi wheel design makes it feel more stable and also how long it took you to learn to ride it?