TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Some details about upcoming Track Mode in recent MKBHD interview

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by MP3Mike, Aug 18, 2018.

1. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

The recent interview by Marques Brownlee released some details about what track mode will be:

Starts at about 8:15

It turns out it isn't just going to be an on/off switch you are going to get lots of options to adjust to suit your driving/the track. Do other "trackable" cars allow that level of customization?

Still no answer of the P3D- is going to get it if it will only be on the P3D+. (I still think it will be only on the P3D+ because it will use the brakes more and might be too much for the brakes on the P3D-.)

• Like x 1
  2. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

Yes, that was awesome to hear that it will have customizeable features. Not sure how much of a disclaimer there will be, and if we'll be signing our warranty away, but I'm interested in having it already!

3. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier Unknown Member

I mean if they want to piss off all the P3D- buyers then sure, don't let us have Track Mode. Considering the P3D-/+ is already $10k more than the AWD, tying it to an additional $5k option with a lot of hardware parts that track enthusiasts will be pulling off anyways to put their own custom parts on would probably cause riots.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  4. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Riots? lol Nope. Gotta pay to play. The P- doesn’t have the big brakes.

• Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I highly doubt the P3D without the performance package is going to miss out on the track mode. Now it might have a feature or two missing because of the brake difference.

There are quite a few people who bought the P3D without the performance package because they specifically wanted to do their own setup. Like staggered wheels.

I chose the performance package because I didn't really wish to do customization. Where I'm only going to do occasional track stuff.

6. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Track mode on every other car just means that stability and traction control is dialed back. I’ve never heard of them actually improving performance. It will be interesting to see if Tesla actually manages to make the car faster in track mode vs. just turning all the nannies off.
    I suppose there’s probably zero chance that the AWD will even get a stability and traction control off mode. Us LR and AWD owners are going to have rely on the aftermarket for our “track mode”.

• Like x 1
  7. MisterMo

MisterMo Member

BS. P- paid to play too. $10K, in fact over reg DM. At the time I ordered, there was no mention of bigger brakes, only "red" coloring. All the nancy's had to have red color. Me? I wasn't gonna pay $5K for cosmetics. Turns out, there was a diff, but too late for those of us who thought we only missed out on the color red, a carbon spoiler, alu pedals and heavy wheels. Tesla really needs to get better info to the consumers. There's still so much misinformation about what one gets with the P+ package or how it interacts with the rest. For the top of the Model 3 market, and a $70K car, this is inexcusable.

8. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Oh well!

Were they to give you all these extra options and you crash your car because your non-BBK couldn't handle it... well.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Maybe they’ll let you customize in the sense of specific dampening, camber (doubt this), specific response like heavier/lighter turning and much more. If it’s track(location) specific it could help with small details 98% of people getting this car won’t need. Maybe a track has more R turns than L, maybe it’ll help with that and other factors. Who knows.

If it and Luda mode is tied to the PUP I’d say it’s fair. Performance line for those who want to stomp it as a traffic light racer and upgrades for those that’ll actually go to a track and use the features.

Like getting a 911, 911-GTS or one of their purer GT cars. Just in a more mass production method.

10. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Also, I'd be cautious if I were Tesla. Giving the end-user too many options that could potentially damage/degrade the car (battery etc. like he said in the video) just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

11. MisterMo

MisterMo Member

When these P cars finally hit the track, it won't be the P+ cars that are smoking the P- cars. It'll be the modified P- cars that are circling the P+. And they won't be on 20" wheels either.

• Funny x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  12. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

How do we know it won’t be the RWD with its lighter weight and better balance? :p
    Next years Refuel EV event is going to be awesome.

• Like x 2
  13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Why couldn't it be modifed P3D+ cars with their exclusive track mode? We just don't know at this point.

• Like x 1
  14. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

And what mods will those be? Exhaust? Intakes? Tune? Headers? Cam? Blowers?

• Funny x 5
  15. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Stripping extra chairs, extra carpeting, floor mats, removing the AC system.

Drilling into the battery packs to reduce metal.

Removing frunk liner.

Pulling out the iPad and using phone for everything.

Endless potential. :D

• Funny x 5
  16. MisterMo

MisterMo Member

Where is suspension, tires and brakes in your list?

17. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Those can also be updated on the P+.

• Like x 1
  18. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

#18 Vitold, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Track mode puts extra strain on components, including battery. It does not make a sense for Tesla, from financial perspective to make it available for free on non PUP models.

Also, free track mode on P3D would steer buyers away from P3D+ towards P3D with aftermarket upgrades.

Now, track mode for a fee on non PUP models should be available as it would sway some AWD buyer to get P3D while letting Tesla pay for possibly higher warrant claims.

• Like x 2
  19. MisterMo

MisterMo Member

Thank you for making my point. Where's the logic in paying $5K for P+ suspension and brakes, then removing it to put on something better? These are easy upgrades, for less than $5K, unlike cams, blowers, etc.

20. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

P+ will have track mode. P- will not. No matter what model of any car you get, there will always be aftermarket parts available. Some people just want the exclusivity. And (drum roll please) factory warranty.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1