Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some moderate range journey notes - SR+ from Portland OR to San Francisco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently did a 1200 mile (total, round trip) drive from Portland Oregon to San Francisco in my M3 SR+. Here are my observations, as this was my first long-haul trip.

1. I don't have FSD, but Autopilot still is great. Maybe I'm jumpy but I didn't really even trust autopilot doing some tight highway turns through the mountains. Still it's great to sit in a lane and let it run. FSD I imagine would be even better, but not incredibly so. I guess the cost is based on how often people do long-range highway trips; for me, this was pretty awesome.

I found myself wishing they would allow for a trial of FSD where i could partake of it during a trip like this. That might sell it better. But still, all I really want is auto-lanechange. Cmon tesla. :)

2. The trip estimator relies on the entire jouney to the next stop, but the car itself only relies on the last segment of driving - like your efficiency over the last 5/15/30 miles graph. For example, I was at a supercharger somewhere before a mountain range. I charged the car to roughly 80% and it said that I would arrive at the next charging station with 10%. That's usually when it says you can go. Being a safety nut, I always go an extra 5%, but I figured "In Tesla We Trust" and left with 13% because The Mrs was getting bored.

However, shortly after starting the trip, traveling up the mountain, the car started complaining "You must drive under 60 to reach your destination" Needless to say, that freaked me the hell out and I started pondering what I did wrong here. Fortunately the Mrs had fallen asleep and so I just started watching the console. The system seems to re-evaluate your arriving charge % based upon your recently consumed ratio and readjusts. Long story short, the warning went away shortly after, and I actually arrived exactly as expected, with pretty much right on the amount of charge estimated, but the warning mid-trip was concerning.

Wondering if this is typical and if there's a way to really prevent that. I think this would really only be a problem with serious elevation changes in travel.

3. I get cookie-sheet pops under my car for elevation changes regularly. Around my house it happens almost like clockwork in a particular spot depending on how recently I drove my car. Tesla said this is normal in a recent service visit, but driving on the mountains was interesting. It's not constant, but about once every hour or so, assuming I'm going uphill in that time.

4. I loved the drive. The facilities next to the superchargers was just fine by me. In every case except maybe once or twice, we got done with charging far before we were done with food. It was only on the return trip where I think we were just pressed for time and going super-optimal. 20 minutes to charge is great for stretching your legs and a quick walk, and horrible for a meal. But I don't mind - I usually just supercharge to a greater %, for that safety margin.

Hopefully this is useful for anyone.

So what were your supercharger stops? How long at each?

Thanks

I used abetterrouteplanner for information purposes but ultimately went the "In Tesla We Trust" route and just did what the console told me. They ended up being the same as there aren't a lot of options between SFO and PDX, so you can pretty much guess them.

That did bring up a point though, I ended up just doing a random SFO stop before my hotel there, but it ended up being a mall and was paaaaacked with teslas and lined up. I think a great UI option would be something to more actively warn you if a supercharger is full. I had enough juice to hop around SFO to a new supercharger. We kind of planned on touring the city anyway so it worked.

The stops I used:
Springfield, OR
Grants Pass, OR
Mt. Shasta, CA
Corning, CA

Most of the stops were only scheduled for 25 minutes to go from ~10% to about 70%. My kids liked running around, so I often stretched that. Honestly the mandatory breaks were really kind of great for that.

Depending on your vehicle manufacture date, you can eliminate or reduce #3 by putting in a service request to address this service bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163736-9999.pdf

I’m having mine fixed this coming Monday.

Thanks for that! My build date was June 2019 so I would find it odd that this isn't part of the standard kit. It's annoying and regular enough for me to consider a vanity fix for this even if the service center claims it's harmless.

I have a July 2019 built SR+ and I have the same pops. I haven't noticed it with pure elevation change (like going over mountains) because I'm usually listening to music, but at superchargers it's VERY noticeable and rather loud bangs and pops. I understand some amount is normal, but these are pretty freaky and loud sounding. I suspect I need the service bulletin update as well, just haven't got around to it.

Curious how grants pass was for you, I know that's one that people have complained can be full at times.

I think you would be disappointed in the FSD "upgrade" compared to what you have now. From my understanding the only real difference at freeway level is the auto lane change and merging to the off ramp. I don't think it actually "drives" better within the lanes or anything. I did a Tri Cities to Seattle trip with AP on the whole time and it works amazingly well on the freeway. I also felt a little nervous with it around some mountain bends at 70mph when trucks or cars were in the lanes next to me, but it seemed to keep the lane well. It's just a weird feeling of going "connected to the car" as driver to more of "passenger" and feeling the movements of the car more because of the disconnection.

I have a July 2019 built SR+ and I have the same pops. I haven't noticed it with pure elevation change (like going over mountains) because I'm usually listening to music, but at superchargers it's VERY noticeable and rather loud bangs and pops. I understand some amount is normal, but these are pretty freaky and loud sounding. I suspect I need the service bulletin update as well, just haven't got around to it.

Mine is a September 2019 build SR+ and I get the loud pops also. I had to take the car in for a couple of other issues and even gave them the service bulletin number. They took a look and said I have the newest revision of the HV breathers and that "at this time nothing else can be done to reduce/eliminate them" So sadly even after the "fix" they may not go away.

• Informative
Reactions: silenteski
Depending on your vehicle manufacture date, you can eliminate or reduce #3 by putting in a service request to address this service bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163736-9999.pdf

I’m having mine fixed this coming Monday.

I opened a service request with Tesla and just asked if this applied to my car.
"I get a regular thunk ('cookie sheet' type pop) when supercharging and during elevation changes. It's fairly consistent and regular. I saw a service bulletin SB-19-16-010 that precisely describes my condition and wondered if this applied to my Tesla"
Their response:
"[intro excluded]... This bulletin does apply to your vehicle and can be performed on the upcoming date."

So here's hoping.

Curious how grants pass was for you, I know that's one that people have complained can be full at times.

I can't be specific on my timing but I hit the Grants Pass charger early afternoon heading south and around 5pm heading north. Both times it was about 50% capacity. I think on my southbound trip we noted that it wasn't charging quickly and I was explaining to my wife about the sharing of charge between the A/B units, so someone had pulled in next to us. I don't think they've upgraded the units there.

On a related note I never had a concern on enroute superchargers. All of them had overflow parking so even if they were at capacity I could easily hang out for a while which was nice -- not that I really wanted to do this, but it's good to know that generally this design makes for a lot less stress. Like I said in my initial post the only time I had a charging issue in the entire journey was considering a supercharger next to a mall. I definitely wouldn't recommend those for enroute journeys.

Just looked it up -- it was the Corte Madera supercharger in SFO, Never seen so many Teslas lined up. We ended up hopping over the San Francisco bay to the Richmond, CA supercharger. Turned out to be a great move as we had some really fantastic mexican food there.

OH I almost forgot the coolest element of the entire journey:

Gaining 4% range going down a huge mountain. I've seen the occasional bump of 1% but that was just cool... seeing the green bar go nuts and the speed around 60-70... was thrilling.
Living just outside of Rocky Mountain National Park, I love coming down Trail Ridge Road and watching the range increase while not using the brakes to slow down! With 36.2.1, the new regenerating braking “hold” feature may slow down the car too much, so I may have to change the setting to allow a properly controlled descent.