Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Quick Help Please - Charging in the Rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jpfive

Supporting Member
Oct 31, 2019
Pensacola, FL
I just took delivery of my M3 on a home delivery. Charge is at 49%. Steady drizzling rain. My only charging source at this moment is the 120V cord/charger that comes with the car. Trip in the morning, about 200 miles, superchargers enroute and at destination. Can I charge overnight in the rain? 120V outside outlet is under the eave.

Tesla's Mobile Connector manual includes the following warning:

Tesla Mobile Connector manual said:
Warning: Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.

Some people report using the Mobile Connector in inclement weather for months or years without problems, but I've also seen reports of failures under such conditions. ("Failures" meaning the Mobile Connector stops working; I have not heard of injuries or damage to the car associated with charging in rain or snow.) Chances are you'll be OK for a day or two of use in light rain, but I wouldn't recommend making a habit of it. If possible, shelter the Mobile Connector box from the rain, and elevate it on a rack or something so that water can't pool around it. If you park outside, then in the long term it's best to get a Wall Connector, which Tesla does approve for use in rain.

Tesla's Mobile Connector manual includes the following warning:

Some people report using the Mobile Connector in inclement weather for months or years without problems, but I've also seen reports of failures under such conditions. ("Failures" meaning the Mobile Connector stops working; I have not heard of injuries or damage to the car associated with charging in rain or snow.) Chances are you'll be OK for a day or two of use in light rain, but I wouldn't recommend making a habit of it. If possible, shelter the Mobile Connector box from the rain, and elevate it on a rack or something so that water can't pool around it. If you park outside, then in the long term it's best to get a Wall Connector, which Tesla does approve for use in rain.

Thanks. Suggestions acted on.

Reactions: eprosenx
I've often charged in torrential rain on 120V using a long extension cord (suitably rated)
Just because I didn't want it laying there in the mud, I put the mobile connector up on the rear tire so it was sheltered

My garage where the 14-50 outlet is located is 70 feet from where I normally park... So if it's raining and I'm not using my truck. I stash the mobile connector and extension cord on top of the tire in the wheel well. Last few rainstorms it stayed dry. (I'm on a 50A GFCI breaker (mainly due to extension cord risk))
PhotoGrid_1577052618427.jpg

Reactions: jpfive
I charged in the rain and snow all last winter. The MC was not under cover or protected in any way:
20190214_181043.jpg

No problems noted other than I didn't like dealing with the wet mobile connector and extension cord when it was time to put it into the car.

This year I built this:
20191209_132007 1cl.jpg

Cost for the underground conduit, fittings, 35 feet of #6 AWG wire, 60 amp breaker and other incidentals was under $150. The A-frame was built mostly from my scrap lumber pile so only about $300.

It's much better to have the full 48 amps. When I was on 120V and 15 amps the range of the car would go backward when I was defrosting the car on cold mornings. Now, no problem.

I charged in the rain and snow all last winter. The MC was not under cover or protected in any way:View attachment 491788
No problems noted other than I didn't like dealing with the wet mobile connector and extension cord when it was time to put it into the car.

This year I built this:
View attachment 491794

Cost for the underground conduit, fittings, 35 feet of #6 AWG wire, 60 amp breaker and other incidentals was under $150. The A-frame was built mostly from my scrap lumber pile so only about $300.

It's much better to have the full 48 amps. When I was on 120V and 15 amps the range of the car would go backward when I was defrosting the car on cold mornings. Now, no problem.

That's awesome. I got the Corded Mobile connector (40a) because I can't install a wall connector just yet, 40a gives me 37mph in my P3D- (there's a bit of voltage drop across the 140' of wire so I lose about 600w there).

I have a commute I could cover with 120 but it's awesome to go out for a 45 minute pleasure drive come home and recoup that range in about an hour.

That's awesome. I got the Corded Mobile connector (40a) because I can't install a wall connector just yet, 40a gives me 37mph in my P3D- (there's a bit of voltage drop across the 140' of wire so I lose about 600w there).

I have a commute I could cover with 120 but it's awesome to go out for a 45 minute pleasure drive come home and recoup that range in about an hour.

I agree. 120V can work for most people but it's far from ideal, especially if it's cold enough to need to defrost the car. While the defrost still works just as well on 120V, it's draining your battery pack of some hard-fought range (I say "hard-fought range" because you're charging on 120V slowly). It's also cycling your battery which, in the really big picture, causes more battery degradation that you might miss 6-10 years down the road.

The other disadvantage of 120V charging is it's less efficient so it uses more electricity for charging purposes.