Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sonic Carbon color change--Photos of silver/white Model S with Sonic Carbon slipstream wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never been a "wheels" person. My car was delivered with 21" wheels and the first thing I did was replace them with 19" wheels for better range, durability, and performance and though I like the silver wheels, I'm starting to think that my silver Model S will look a bit more modern with the silver slipstream wheels painted in Sonic Carbon.

Is Sonic Carbon more of a dark gray then a black? I know I would not want the wheels to be black but I'm thinking a dark grey would compliment the silver exterior of my car. is Sonic Carbon a metallic color? Anyone care to share their thoughts?

What's the going rate to have the 4 slipstream wheels painted in Sonic Carbon? Anyone have the actual color code for Sonic Carbon?

Does anyone have photos of a silver or white Model S with sonic carbon wheels so I can see what Sonic Carbon wheels looks like with a light exterior color? Already looked on Google but did not find many photos.Would love to see some close up photos of Sonic Carbon under good lighting.

Thanks for any thoughts on if this would be a worthwhile aesthetic change.

I've always never cared much about wheels and all I cared about was that they are as durable as possible to handle a pothole and keep going. I can't believe I'm even considering repainting my wheels. Didn't think I was that kind of a person! What's happening to me? o_O:p

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
This should give you a fair idea of what to expect. Scroll down the page to see the gallery of the white Model S with the gray wheels (its close enough to the sonic carbon to give you a good idea).

I think it's a great idea. I actually plan to do the same thing. I have a silver Model S, so the sonic carbon or gun metal colored wheels will look fantastic on lighter colored cars like yours and mine

https://tsportline.com/collections/...del-s-19-tss-flow-forged-tesla-wheel-set-of-4

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
IMG_6843.JPG

• Helpful
This should give you a fair idea of what to expect. Scroll down the page to see the gallery of the white Model S with the gray wheels (its close enough to the sonic carbon to give you a good idea).

I think it's a great idea. I actually plan to do the same thing. I have a silver Model S, so the sonic carbon or gun metal colored wheels will look fantastic on lighter colored cars like yours and mine

Tesla Model S 19

Ugh, I wish I hadn't seen that, was pretty happy with my wheels but those are sweeeet!

Looks great! Those are 21" wheels, right?

Anyone have a silver or white Model S with sonic carbon wheels?

Here's white with the factory Sonic Carbon Slipstreams.
IMG_20200513_185610.jpg

It's a dark grey. I wouldn't say metallic but it has a nice gloss finish.

I think the darker wheels look great against a lighter car. These are my winter wheels/tires now, I swapped to 21" wheels for summer, but I still went with a brushed dark titanium finish for the contrast.

I really like the sonic carbon, too. I run sonic carbon arachnids in the summer and silver 19s in the winter. I have been thinking about getting the 19s powder coated in sonic carbon, but just have not done it yet. There is no powder coat code for sonic carbon, but there is a powder coat process that starts with a black base, has a painted middle sonic carbon coat and then a final clear powder coat.

I really like the sonic carbon, too. I run sonic carbon arachnids in the summer and silver 19s in the winter. I have been thinking about getting the 19s powder coated in sonic carbon, but just have not done it yet. There is no powder coat code for sonic carbon, but there is a powder coat process that starts with a black base, has a painted middle sonic carbon coat and then a final clear powder coat.

I wonder what color the wheel repair people use though, as they'd need a paint code to match the sonic carbon wheels exactly.

• Disagree
I don't have the 19 inch rims but I do have a silver S with the turbines in that color. IMO its probably the best color combo..View attachment 544023

That's what I wanted to see. THANK YOU!

This coming from someone who is not a "wheels person," but I think that color combination looks great on a car with a light exterior color. Makes the car look more "modern."

I hate black wheels but I think the dark grey Sonic Carbon works well, especially with silver. Not as aggressive and in your face like the "trendy/fad" black wheels but still subtle and elegant in a darker silver color. That gloss makes a big difference in softening the color.

Can I ask you to post a few more photos? :p:D

What a shame they discontinued silver as an exterior color!

• Disagree
Two different manufacturers for Sonic Carbon: NEU-106E and Ditzler PPG 934723.

Okay you've convinced me completely that I should paint my silver slipstream wheels Sonic Carbon.

I just realized that I would then also need to replace the center caps. is that something readily available at Tesla?

Thanks for all the photos. Your car looks immaculate/pristine!

Anyone know what the going rate is to have the wheels professionally repainted?

• Disagree
Okay you've convinced me completely that I should paint my silver slipstream wheels Sonic Carbon.

I just realized that I would then also need to replace the center caps. is that something readily available at Tesla?

Powder coating costs about $500. It's better than painting IMHO. That would also include addressing any scratches or dings, the inner barrels as well as behind the spokes

Powder coating costs about $500. It's better than painting IMHO. That would also include addressing any scratches or dings, the inner barrels as well as behind the spokes

That's about $125-150 per wheel to repaint then?

Could you please explain the difference between powder coat and painting?

I want the wheels to be super glossy so I guess that effect is achieved by the clear-coat?

• Disagree

Yes, sonic carbon center caps are a stock item you can buy at an SC or on ebay. I think I paid $15 apiece the last time I bought some.

• Helpful
Recently changed from 19" cyclones to 20" mx slipstreams . i wanted a wider rear tyre but not 21"on rubber bands with no pothole protection. i do miss the look of the cyclones , had them refurbished and ended up keeping them.

I got a good deal on a set of rims £110 each, then had them all repaired , powder coated, tyres mounted and balanced for £425. Michelin pilot sport 4s £550 , 245/40 in the front , 275/40 in the rear 5k mi on them now. Noticeable improvement in traction and cornering stability , wearing very evenly too. some pics attached before and after fitted.

original mx slipstreams
mx slipstream.jpg

old 19" cyclone
old cyclones.jpg

new refurbished mx slipstreams
slipstreams.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191221_142137.jpg
    IMG_20191221_142137.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_20191221_142128.jpg
    IMG_20191221_142128.jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 350
  • Love
That's about $125-150 per wheel to repaint then?

Could you please explain the difference between powder coat and painting?

I want the wheels to be super glossy so I guess that effect is achieved by the clear-coat?

The powder coating process includes using electrostatic charged particles that tend to adhere well and more evenly to the surface and then it is heat cured. It’s supposed to be more durable and have a glossier finish.