Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soo. Who is going to make these now...!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20181007-_MG_0829-Edit.jpg
20181007-_MG_0839-Edit.jpg
So I was playing around in Lightroom and realized red DRLs actually don't seem to look bad contrary to what I had initially thought...

I'm not 100% sure it would be easy, but could a kit be produced using relatively simple methods like swapping an LED? I really don't know how the headlights were built?

Having not taken the headlights apart, I can't speak for the model S, but typically there would not be a simple solution for something like this.

If the running lights are a bulb that's accessible from the outside of the housing, it'd be a two minute job...
But if I had to guess, I'd say it's an LED based frosted deflector that is built in to the housing. If that's the case, you'd have to bake the headlights apart, replace or solder in your own lighting behind the bar (or at the end of the bar, depending on the current setup), wire it up to run off of the running light and have a remote to control the colors. You'd then have to re-seal the headlight and ensure it fully seals and doesn't leak or get moisture in it.

• Informative
Reactions: selfbp
i actually have a set of these apart already at home that i have been looking to play with. They are a real pain in the ass to open due to he type of glue that they use.

the Light bars on the top are illuminated by 3 sets of LED's and i believe they are Lumileds Luxeon FX Plus LED's. They are crazy small though, only 1.6mm and there are 4 of them in a grouping. The headlight i had was used (and cheep) and has 4 of these burned out.

This particular LED only comes in white and Amber however, so unless you were going to paint the inside the the headlgiht to change it that would be the only option, and it would be dimmer.

There are other LED's similar size from Cree, however the solder pad on them is different so it would not be practical to use, but they come in assorted colors

Attachments

• IMG_6313.JPG
    IMG_6313.JPG
    390.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6329.JPG
    IMG_6329.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Informative
i actually have a set of these apart already at home that i have been looking to play with. They are a real pain in the ass to open due to he type of glue that they use.

the Light bars on the top are illuminated by 3 sets of LED's and i believe they are Lumileds Luxeon FX Plus LED's. They are crazy small though, only 1.6mm and there are 4 of them in a grouping. The headlight i had was used (and cheep) and has 4 of these burned out.

This particular LED only comes in white and Amber however, so unless you were going to paint the inside the the headlgiht to change it that would be the only option, and it would be dimmer.

There are other LED's similar size from Cree, however the solder pad on them is different so it would not be practical to use, but they come in assorted colors

Thanks for the informative reply and pictures, definitely answers some of the concerns I had with my post there.

Another alternative, if spacing allows for it, would be to solder different LEDs to a custom pad that has routing to line up with the OEM LED pads.

Thanks for the informative reply and pictures, definitely answers some of the concerns I had with my post there.

Another alternative, if spacing allows for it, would be to solder different LEDs to a custom pad that has routing to line up with the OEM LED pads.
that would be very hard to do for sure as its only 1.6mm in size and needs to be thermally connected as well.
2 options: 1 - use red paint or red film on the inside the lens. 2- custom print and build a new PCB Board and re-make your own.

either way, its crazy hard.

• Informative