Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound and air filter DIYs on the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Key's not in my hands yet, not for another few weeks, and I'm thinking of DIYs to do on the Model S when it comes in :tongue:

From the other forum sections, I see that the stock air filter on the car is a really basic automotive cabin filter in the 9.75x6x1.75" size. After watching the Model X unveiling video, it seems our Model S's is left in the stone ages LOL. So I did some research into sticking a MERV 15 or 16 (Musk said the Model X's filter is hospital grade; 15 is for general outpatient wards and 16 is for general surgery) filter into my Model S.

It seems there is no available sizes for MERV 15/16 as they are all thicker than 1.75" to do their jobs. The highest I can find is a MERV 13 one and will require some cutting; they come in 9.75"x23.75x1 on Amazon. For the 0.75" hopefully it won't flop around in the filter box; if it does I'll stuff it with some of those AC filters from Japan City.

The other thing I looked into is making the car as quiet as possible, probably buy some sound proof sheets from these guys in Mongkok ::: Kin Choi Shockproof Material Limited ::: and cut to fit the entire cabin, trunk and frunk floor.

If feasible I'd like to spray line the wheel wells as well but I think this might be un-removable so I'll see if the soundproofing sheets makes any big difference. Hopefully not add too much more weight in the process.

And obviously, downsizing to 19" with grand touring tires after the stock 21" wear out.... friends say I should've gotten a regular 85D since I want to turn it into a comfort commuter LOL

If anyone got ideas to share on sound and air or other DIYs, please do so thanks :biggrin:

Most decent car audio workshop could can do the soundproofing for you. While they are taking the car apart, you should also consider doing a 360 car cam system.
I'm not sure about the sound proofing that you have linked to. The previous stuff I have used in other cars all had a foil backing. Maybe the technology has changed now and the foil no longer provides any benefit.

Start with the inside of the door cavity and the wheel wells for sound dampening first. Those are the easier to access areas. To do the floor requires a full tear down of your interior. Our cars have a chunky battery pack under the car to help create a barrier from road noise.

For air filters, in the past I have ordered filters online from http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Nr=AND(part:Cabin+Air+Filter)
Maybe they have something similar to what you are looking for?

Good luck
Please share your DIY process and lots of photos

Well I just did it myself with some sound deadening sheets from Carcity in Shatin.
Covered the underside of each oem carpet may floor mat and a rubber floor mat on top of the oem carpet mat
Plus half of the trunk upper shelf (the part that doesn't flip up) and also half of the lower trunk cover (also the part that doesn't flip up). Wanted to do frunk but there's no where that's easily accessible and out of sight without cutting up the original carpeting. I could stick it to the under side of the hood but it'd look ugly. Want to stick them to wheel wells but concerned they may come off and jam the wheels since the wheel clearence is so tight on the Model S....

How is the results?

I'm not really sure your approach to this will work that well. Typically, car sound deadening material works by dampening vibrations / sound waves. It's not an insulator.

The carpets in your car are not vibrating, so they aren't the things that are making noise.

You really need to apply it to the metal surfaces of the car.

Here's a video of dynamat in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q0YBkgBoEI

I might be completely wrong here, if you have been using some other type of sound deadening materials.

How is the results?

I'm not really sure your approach to this will work that well. Typically, car sound deadening material works by dampening vibrations / sound waves. It's not an insulator.

The carpets in your car are not vibrating, so they aren't the things that are making noise.

You really need to apply it to the metal surfaces of the car.

Here's a video of dynamat in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q0YBkgBoEI

I might be completely wrong here, if you have been using some other type of sound deadening materials.

Thanks and you are right.... I didn't notice THAT much more difference; it only muffled the floor noise a bit but you're right it didn't prevent it from the source at the metal parts. I'm hesitant on DIYing stuff that needs me to rip up the carpets so I'll see, will also change to 20" wheels and non staggered touring tires set up after the oem 21" burns through. If that doesn't make it near silent then I'll look into audio shops' professional sound deadening