Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound Insulation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I bought a used MS directly from Tesla 3 months ago, I have noticed higher road noise levels inside the car compared to other luxury cars I have owned. I even noticed that when I play music or if I am on a phone call - it is very audible from the outside.

I plan on scheduling an appointment with SC but wanted to get your thoughts if this is a common issue and how to resolve it. Would this be covered in Warranty?

Has anyone had similar issues?

Tires are 3 months old. It is 2016 MS.
Which tires and what size? There will be a difference in sound between the sizes and brands. I have a 2013 S with the staggered 21inch turbines and michelin tires and since they are summer tires there is significantly more noise when it's cold outside. I had a 2018 S with factory 19 inch tires and they were quieter. We drove a 2020 Performance S the other day and it was also alot quiter than any of the other tesla Model S we have driven/owned.

”I even noticed that when I play music or if I am on a phone call - it is very audible from the outside.”

this is unfortunately just how it is, this sound is through the windshield and side windows (common on most cars that don’t have dual layer sound insulated windows, which isn’t really standard - the model s would greatly benefit... don’t think it is possible aftermarket though - at least haven’t seen anyone doing it).

Reactions: rjElec
Hi Everyone,

I bought a used MS directly from Tesla 3 months ago, I have noticed higher road noise levels inside the car compared to other luxury cars I have owned. I even noticed that when I play music or if I am on a phone call - it is very audible from the outside.

I plan on scheduling an appointment with SC but wanted to get your thoughts if this is a common issue and how to resolve it. Would this be covered in Warranty?

Has anyone had similar issues?

This sounds totally normal. The S is a pretty noisy car if you compare it to luxury cars.

If you think of it as a premium performance car and not a luxury car you'll sleep better at night.

Reactions: rjElec