Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Carolina vehicle property tax appeal documentation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2023 Standard Model 3 (~14K miles) is being valued at $39330 for SC/county/city property taxes, which is more than reality. Per my county (Richland), to appeal I should send "a current appraisal (retail value) by a dealer of the same make vehicle". Does anyone have any experience (or educated guess) what satisfies that?

I sent in screenshots and a table of 9 listings in SC or neighboring states from Carmax, Carvana and Tesla, each of which with 10-20K miles (average ~$31.5K FWIW), and the response was "You will have to submit documentation from the TESLA dealership in order to appeal".

I replied that 3 of the listings were from Tesla, so do they want a PDF of them printed out or... ?

Hopefully they can provide some clarity (which I can relay here for future searchers), but I figured I might make other inquires and perhaps short-circuit a lengthy back-and-forth if possible.

Reactions: jsight
Half, no - but it's a lot more than $50?

My bill is $1150, nearly all of which is pro rata. If a fair valuation is ~$29-32K, then that's a $2-300 difference in a single year (and some next year, and the year after that...).

The latest response is that I need "an appraisal from Tesla. They need to provide you company documentation on their company letterhead of the same make and model".

Maybe it's just me, but that seems like a really weird (and hard to satisfy) request for a used car.. I may just try PDF'ing a used listing like https://www.tesla.com/m3/order/5YJ3E1EA0PF406622 and see if that suffices...