Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

South Florida Model S owners with panoramic roofs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a Model 3 reservation holder and plan on getting the panoramic roof. How hot does it get in the August heat? Slightly unbearable or catastrophicly unbearable?

Did you tint it? I generally go with limo tint on my vehicles to keep the heat out. I'd hate to have to use limo tint on that beautiful piece of glass.

I live in CA and in 100 degree heat, I don't feel any radiation from the pano while driving. The light of the sun doesn't bother me at all. I actually rarely open it because then the glare does bother me. Yes, the car does get hot in the sun when sitting, like most, I guess. I did get the pano and rear shades for when I'm parked. They made some difference when parked and don't bother me at all when driving. I just leave them in. I use them for a couple months a year and then put them away.

Reactions: TTBHG
I'm a Model 3 reservation holder and plan on getting the panoramic roof. How hot does it get in the August heat? Slightly unbearable or catastrophicly unbearable?

Did you tint it? I generally go with limo tint on my vehicles to keep the heat out. I'd hate to have to use limo tint on that beautiful piece of glass.

if you watch the test drive videos from the 3 unveiling I believe the engineer states that they learned a lot with the model X about the panoramic roof and different laminates in the glass. I'm guessing he meant they solved the issue. My model S gets damn hot according to the API temperature reading from inside the car. Well above 100 when its 70 outside and sunny, but it's the only car I've ever owned that cools down within seconds of opening the window and driving. Hard to describe why... but I've never experienced that baking feeling that I get in other cars, maybe because I have grey seats? Or the aerodynamics of the car.

I wouldn't worry about it with a Tesla. I truly believe they've designed it correctly. They don't want the first 100k cars on the road complaining that it's a hotbox on wheels. They don't want headlines like "amazing panormamic roof is a death trap".

The model S and the X has a sunscreen you can buy but I don't think it's necessary. Now that I think of it, I believe Elon responded to a tweet that the 3 would come with one but you shouldn't need it.

• Informative
I haven't heard anything negative about additional heat penetration from the Pano roof, so probably no need to worry. I've had sunroofs in several of my cars and never use them, so I decided agains the Pano roof on my S and will not order it on my 3. I would prefer to use the money on other upgrades.

• Informative

Grew up in Miami, live in Valley portion of LA. Definitely gets hotter here (although without the humidity). Fewer clouds, too, and more sun.

Worried about getting pano roof. Turned out to be a complete non-issue. Got the sunshades but rarely use them.

Getting the beige leather turned out to be a good move, though.

• Informative
Reactions: TTBHG and Big-Al
Boca Raton here... I never feel the sun on my head, even during the worst days.... I do suggest pre-cooling the car 2-3 min before you get inside it if its been sitting. Like any other car, it gets hot in the sun while not in use. Opening the app and cooling the car makes a world of difference.

• Informative
Reactions: TTBHG and Big-Al
Tampa owner here. Pano roof doesn't get any hotter than the prior cars I've owned.

I have had folks comment that there is heat that comes in through the rear hatch glass (not the rear seat pano, but the glass in the actual hatch). It does not appear to have the same tint as the pano roof. I have not had tint applied to the rear hatch but suspect tint might help the rear seat passengers. I do not believe any additional tint is necessary for the pano roof.

Tampa owner here. Pano roof doesn't get any hotter than the prior cars I've owned.

I have had folks comment that there is heat that comes in through the rear hatch glass (not the rear seat pano, but the glass in the actual hatch). It does not appear to have the same tint as the pano roof. I have not had tint applied to the rear hatch but suspect tint might help the rear seat passengers. I do not believe any additional tint is necessary for the pano roof.

You are correct. The pano roof does not need tinting. If you tint the rear hatch, make sure to use a ceramic tint for best heat resistance.

I live in Southwest Florida. I recently had a crack that developed on the rear panel of panoramic roof. The crack originated on the posterior portion of the glass, halfway in between. The crack in the rear panoramic sunroof was a result I was told of something that became lodged underneath the glass and caused pressure on the glass from the inside out. This could be from a pebble or small branch. Between the pressure from beneath the glass and the heat from outside it caused the glass to crack. Clearly this is a fault with the engineering of the product. Every other car that I have owned that had a lift gate mechanism, there was some form of felt or rubber in the gap in between. Here we have a very pronounceable 0.25 inch gap that would allow anything to get in. How is then this crack, which the installer told me that was due to something getting underneath the glass, a fault of mine and not the design of the vehicle.
Personally, I believe that this gap between the rear glass and the lift gate needs to have a rubber filler or piece of felt filler. Leaving this gap allows for anything to slip in, as the glass repair man at your service center explained, which would then allow for pressure to build up underneath and cause the crack.