TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Space-X Breaks ULA Monopoly to Launch USAF GPS Satellite

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by S'toon, Apr 27, 2016.

1. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Full article at:
    Elon Musk’s SpaceX breaks Boeing-Lockheed monopoly on military space launches

2. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

The L.A. Times reports tonight that SpaceX just won an $83 million contract to launch an Air Force GPS satellite. This is apparently the end to a monopology formerly held by Boeing and Lockheed's joint venture ULA.

ULA claims they did not bid on this launch because they didn't "have the accounting systems in place to make a compliant bid."

Wait WHAT?

I'm sure that the fact that SpaceX undercut ULA by 50% in price had nothing to do with the fact that ULA didn't bid. Nope, not at all. It's 'cause Bob in accounting didn't set up Quickbooks in time.

SpaceX wins an $82.7-million Air Force contract to launch a GPS satellite

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  3. cwave1

cwave1 Member

Interesting but definitely the wrong forum for this.

• Love x 1
  4. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Mods please move it to the right forum.

5. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

So I'm thinking that the discreet Secret Service protection may really be in order now...

• Like x 2
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

7. mhan00

mhan00 Member

SpaceX will be testing and retesting this you would think. This is something they absolutely can't have fail.

8. lklundin

lklundin Member

I presume that it is not in the interest of the US tax payers who are footing the bill to just replace one monopoly with another. And probably of more importance to the policy makers, there is a wish to have at least two (independent) suppliers of access to space.

So I wonder how future contracts will be awarded.

There is some signs that the US government wants to keep ULA in the business by supporting its development efforts with tax funds:

HASC Sides With Air Force, ULA on RD-180 Rocket Engines

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Certain members of the US Congress will do whatever they can to make sure that ULA continues to get government contracts because of the economic benefits that flow to their home states.

10. lklundin

lklundin Member

Yes. I think it is very strange that the Defense subcommittee in front of which Elon Musk appeared and which was tasked with determining the best choices for the country as a whole had one senator (Shelby) from Alabama, where ULA has production and one from California (Feinstein), where SpaceX has production.

How can anyone believe that these two senators are going argue in the favour of the whole country?

Or maybe I just misunderstood the whole thing.