Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX’s transition to also being a military contractor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No more overflights of Roberts Road.

Not surprised. SpaceX has done everything out in the open in Boca. DoD is keen on the current sat PEZ dispenser being assembled. Imagine all the goodies that can be delivered point-to-point or into orbit. Tiny satellite killers can be ejected like starlink satellites.

Don't be surprised if SpaceX opens up a Skunkworks center somewhere in Nevada.

Reactions: Grendal
Interesting to me in that article - it ends with something like "very curious to see where the commercial market goes with this, and how we might be able to make use of it".

He says "commercial market" - today he really means SpaceX. Hopefully some day will be additional intriguing possibilities.

Reactions: Grendal
I’m not impressed by the writing on that website.

SpaceX said it will be capable of carrying more than 100 metric tons of cargo and crew per launch. The details about its concept of operations are still fuzzy but could include delivering supplies and propellant to low Earth orbit, or to the moon, and from there fly to Mars.
”could include”? I would say it definitely will be able to deliver payload to LEO. Really, no question about that.

I can also say with some confidence that SpaceX will not be launching Starships from the Moon to Mars. That is not the plan.

Currently 😁
True. ”The plan” can always change, and frequently does. 😆 But the idea that it makes sense to first pull payload out of Earth’s gravity well, place it on the Moon, and then pull the same payload out of the Moon’s gravity well to send it to Mars does not compute unless fuel is free on the Moon. Which it is not.

Get your Mars payload to LEO, refuel, and then send it to Mars.

Am I missing something from a pure physics perspective?