Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Amos 17 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: August 6
Launch Window: Approx. 2252 GMT (6:52-8:20 p.m. EDT)
Launch site: SLC-40 Cape Canaveral
Booster Recovery: Expended - due to weight and orbit
Booster Type: B1047.3 - Reused
Mass: 6500 kg
Orbit: GTO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Amos 17 communications satellite. Built by Boeing and owned by Spacecom Ltd. of Israel, Amos 17 will provide high-throughput broadband connectivity and other communications services over Africa, the Middle East and Europe.

Amos 17 is the discounted, if not free, launch from SpaceX for the Amos 6 pre-launch failure that destroyed the satellite.

AMOS 17
AMOS-17 satellite : Optimal coverage of Sub-Saharan Africa in C-band HTS, K-band and Ka-band

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
67410900_2485821468134925_795722771249233920_n.jpg

It's likely that SpaceX will do another super push for the GTO and speed up the satellite trajectory as it has done a few times in the past. This shortens the time by a number of months to get into GEO position and extends the life of the satellite by years because of the fuel savings.

This is one of the few remaining Block 4.9 boosters without the upgraded COPVs. So that is possibly another reason that SpaceX is willing to ditch old B1047.

It's likely that SpaceX will do another super push for the GTO and speed up the satellite trajectory as it has done a few times in the past. This shortens the time by a number of months to get into GEO position and extends the life of the satellite by years because of the fuel savings.

While supersychronous transfer orbit does extend the satellite life over a Hohmann GTO because it essentially puts more energy into the satellite's orbit, it only decreases time-to-GEO if the satellite is using electric propulsion for initial orbit raising.

Near as I can tell Amos-17 has a traditional chemical propulsion system for orbit raising, but...I can't say that for certain. Have you found any content to the contrary?

Reactions: Grendal
While supersychronous transfer orbit does extend the satellite life over a Hohmann GTO because it essentially puts more energy into the satellite's orbit, it only decreases time-to-GEO if the satellite is using electric propulsion for initial orbit raising.

Near as I can tell Amos-17 has a traditional chemical propulsion system for orbit raising, but...I can't say that for certain. Have you found any content to the contrary?

Nope. Just guesswork based on things they've done in the past and repeating stuff from the more informed people on Facebook SpaceX. The guess is that SpaceX will go for a supersychronous transfer orbit.

Reactions: bxr140
Good question. There is a ULA Atlas V with a Dept of Defense payload that is supposed to be launching on that date too. SpaceX should have the priority but with a DOD payload they could get pushed out of their launch date/window.
I think the Atlas is scheduled for 5:44am on 8th. The range upgrades should support a faster turnaround time, but the ~36 hour range reconfiguration time between them may be the concern.

Last edited: