Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polaris Mission(s) - Commercial Crew prep for Starship

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that the Polaris missions are not only laying a foundation for civilian crewed missions to Mars, they are also laying the foundation for space tourism well beyond what Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic are offering or will ever offer.

Like you, I can envision a future, maybe five years from now, where there will be a Starship version with seating for around 50 or so ”space tourists” who will get to do 5 or 10 orbits before returning. Prerequisites may be as basic as no major medical problems and an exam by a SpaceX flight surgeon. Ticket cost: $300,000. SpaceX profit per flight: $10,000,000. The market might support a flight a month.

By then there will be “space hotels”. Much more costly, but there’s a market for that.

Take my money, please!

It's been my dream for the past few years that as Tesla SP continues to rise year by year, and Starship flights become routine, I'll be able to experience LEO in a Starship for one or a few days. We know that fuel cost for a Starship flight is pretty reasonable, so your $300K estimate sounds right.
If that comes to pass I plan to bring my two closest space geek best friends along with me. What a bookend to having bonded with one of them watching pre Apollo launches on a black and white TV in our elementary school gym!

If what I’m hearing is true, this is a big deal.
Fd1NdDoaIAIxjIa.jpg

Fd1jg9EXoAAuoEE.jpg

SpaceX Polaris and Hubble?!

NASA and SpaceX will study whether it’s possible to use Dragon (Crew or Cargo) to raise the Hubble telescope’s orbit back to a nominal 600 kilometers (~372 mi). They will also investigate the possibility of using Dragon for servicing missions to Hubble. This all could be possible because during the fifth and final Space Shuttle servicing mission to the telescope, NASA astronauts installed a docking adapter (Soft Capture Mechanism) that Dragon could use. Obviously SpaceX has proven that Dragon can reliable dock to an object in orbit, specifically the ISS. So docking to the Hubble should be straightforward.

Eric Berger’s report on this news hh
NASA will conduct the study, and also consider solutions from other providers that are in the interest of taxpayers, he said. But it's not clear that another crew vehicle would be capable of servicing Hubble in the near future, and Hubble is running out of time. Every extra year means it descends further toward Earth, making a re-boost less effective.
Saying “it’s not clear” is Eric’s courteous way of saying “there is no other crew vehicle available” that could do the job. The Starliner capsules available are no doubt all committed to NASA for service to the ISS. Only SpaceX has the proven hardware and launch availability to do what NASA wants.

NASA is looking for alternatives to SpaceX reboosting Hubble:
“Partner(s) would be expected to provide all other resources (including the launch vehicle, spacecraft, crew if applicable to the approach, and mission operations except for HST operations during the mission) necessary to successfully perform the demonstration.”

Wow, this is a good deal for NASA. Funny how only when SpaceX is possibly involved, the government likes not spending money. I suspect the number of companies other than SpaceX doing this for free will equal … 0.

Reactions: Grendal
SpaceX will be surpassing NASA capabilities with their new suit design. Why isn’t NASA just using SpaceX suit rather than spending the billions on a contract?
The new suit to be used for that Polaris mission is not the suit NASA needs. It needs a suit for walking on the Moon for hours at a time. Very different.

SpaceX’s private Polaris Dawn orbital mission delayed to summer 2024

Launch of the private Polaris Dawn mission — which aims to notch that milestone, as well as test SpaceX's Starlink internet service in space and conduct a variety of science experiments — has been delayed from April to no earlier than this summer, its organizers announced on Thursday (Feb. 8).

"The additional time continues to provide necessary developmental time to ensure both the completion of these mission goals and a safe launch and return of Dragon and the crew," the Polaris Program said via X on Thursday.