Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polaris Mission(s) - Commercial Crew prep for Starship

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

HVM

Savolainen
Oct 30, 2012
Finland
Polaris...

ABOUT THE PROGRAM​

The Polaris Program is a first-of-its-kind effort to rapidly advance human spaceflight capabilities, while continuing to raise funds and awareness for important causes here on Earth.

Polaris, a constellation of three stars more commonly known as the North Star, has been a guiding light throughout human history to help navigate the world around us and the sky above.

The Polaris Program seeks to demonstrate important operational capabilities that will serve as building blocks to help further human exploration to the Moon, Mars, and beyond.

Wow! I think this is the exciting news that Elon alluded to during his recent Starship presentation but declined to give any details
on.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/02/14/jared-isaacman-polaris-spacex-starship-inspiration4/

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/14/tech/spacex-moon-jared-isaacman-tourism-scn/index.html

I love it that on Isaacman’s next Dragon mission, which he hopes will fly by the end of this year, the other three crew members will be SpaceX employees. If you watched the Netflix documentary on the Inspiration4 mission they will be familiar to you.

And the first mission in the series will include a…spacewalk! That is going to require some serious mods to the capsule and a completely new spacesuit design, for all four crew members, because when they open the hatch they will all be exposed to vacuum. Isaacman says it will be a tethered spacewalk; no fancy self-propelled EVA suits.

And then a second Crew Dragon mission I assume in 2023 (no details about that yet) and THEN the first crewed Starship mission in…unclear at the moment. I’m sure they would like to do it next year but until SpaceX has flown multiple successful Starship missions to orbit and back they certainly are not going to put a crew onboard. My guess is late 2023 at the earliest.

And yes, the Dear Moon mission is still on, date unknown. Will the Isaacman Starship mission precede it? I don’t know.

From https://polarisprogram.com/polaris-program-will-undertake-a-series-of-pioneering-spacex-dragon-missions-demonstrating-new-technologies-and-culminating-in-the-first-human-spaceflight-on-starship/

Quote:

SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Polaris Dawn mission from Launch Complex 39A at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Dragon and the Polaris Dawn crew will spend up to five days in orbit, flying higher than any Dragon mission to date and endeavoring to reach the highest Earth orbit ever flown.

While in orbit, SpaceX mission control will carefully monitor Dragon and the crew as they: – Attempt the first-ever commercial spacewalk with SpaceX-designed extravehicular activity (EVA) spacesuits, upgraded from the current intravehicular (IVA) suit. The development of this suit and the execution of the EVA will be important steps toward a scalable design for spacesuits on future long-duration missions.

• Become the first crew to test Starlink laser-based communications in space, providing valuable data for future space communications systems necessary for human spaceflight to the Moon, Mars, and beyond.
  • Conduct scientific research designed to advance both human health on Earth and our understanding of human health during future long-duration spaceflights. This includes, but is not limited to:
    • Using ultrasound to monitor, detect, and quantify venous gas emboli (VGE), contributing to studies on human prevalence to decompression sickness;
    • Gathering data on the radiation environment to better understand how space radiation affects human biological systems;
    • Providing biological samples towards multi-omics analyses for a long-term Biobank; and
    • Research related to Spaceflight Associated Neuro-Ocular Syndrome (SANS), which is a key risk to human health in long-duration spaceflight.

I could get to like this Jared Isaacman a lot, even though I haven't known anything about him previously. That's some serious money he's putting into the mission, and helping make Starship a reality.
I suggest you watch the Inspiration4 documentary series on Netflix to learn more about him and his motivation for paying for that mission last year, long before his Polaris program.

Reactions: Grendal
Thanks for posting the links to those two interviews. I learned that the EVA goal is for two of the crew to do a spacewalk; not sure if they will do it simultaneously or one at a time. All four crew will wear the same new suit design since all will be exposed to vacuum. In preparation for the EVA the capsule will be vented to vacuum; that atmosphere will be lost, not stored. So the system to re-pressurize the capsule will have to work perfectly or they will have to stay in their suits all the way to splashdown, which is apparently why the EVAs are planned towards the end of the mission.

It is mind-blowing to think that two civilians are going to do EVAs in orbit, in a brand new suit design. Yikes.

Reactions: Grendal
@Grendal thanks for posting Scott’s latest Space Updates video which I watched with great interest, particularly the section about the planned Polaris mission EVA and speculations about the new SpaceX EVA suit. As Scott notes, the new suit will have to comfortably fit through the Dragon docking port opening, likely precluding much of a “backpack”; if there is one it will have to be quite streamlined. But since they will be on umbilical all the time I would not expect there will be a need for any sort of backpack or “front pack”. The Gemini suits had some gear mounted on the chest but I have not been able to find out what that was; maybe a camera? Here’s a NASA photo https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/s65-30427.jpg

Scott talked about how the new suit will likely be pressurized to 1/3 atmosphere (so as not to become too stiff) and they will breathe 100%O2, so they will have to pre-breathe that in the capsule before the EVAs.

It would be interesting to know what changes will have to be made in the Crew Dragon capsule design to handle the EVAs. Will the life support system gas capacity have to be increased (bigger tanks, higher pressure?) because they will have to vent the capsule to vacuum before the EVA? Will the CO2 scrubber system have to be changed to increase its capacity? Any changes to the interior surfaces of the docking port to guard against suit damage during egress and ingress? Those are the kind of questions I wish would get asked during the interviews with Isaacman.

I liked that Scott noticed that in the artists representation of the EVA the suit had a visor with a gold tint, something which has of course not been needed previously. He also mentioned two umbilicals; there seems to be a dark cable wrapped around the main umbilical. Perhaps that is for comms. Of course that image is not necessarily exactly what the actual suit will look like.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Electroman
I haven't had a chance yet to dig into all the wonderful details everybody is posting on this mission, but am really looking forward to doing so soon.

What has struck me though, like a lightning bolt, is that this might be me sometime later. Maybe later this decade, maybe next decade. Me. Going into space, going EVA, .. I think a Moon hike would be my personal most desirable thing to do.

I have had no more interest or experience in space throughout my life than the approximately average human. Always from afar in the "gee what neat things the human species is doing and might do". I never even tried to put myself into that picture - too much work, not enough passion and motivation to do the work, too many other things to do.

And yet with Starship coming along, I see cheaper access to orbit for a significantly wider range of activities. Not in a year or three, but who thinks that routine Starship flights in 5 years is likely? I do. Or if not 5, 10? With Elon pushing I consider these to be as inevitable as rain in the Pacific Northwest. Combine that with a need to fund continuing operations, as well as put a colony on Mars, etc.. space tourism sounds like a thing that will become real. That won't be an immediate thing, nor will it be affordable for me at first (nor am I interested in being one of the very first).

But who thinks that a commercially operated orbital space station will get expanded to include some space for a few 'hotel guests' to stop in for a week? Or maybe a Marriott on the moon, with an opportunity to go out on a moon walk? What has mostly been stuff only found in sci-fi is starting to sound not nearly so far fetched.

The lightning bolt is that I suddenly see line of sight to $1M tickets being available, with some reasonably achievable fitness standards, for people that want to go to space for more than an orbit of the Earth, but a whole lot less than making a career out of it. Just visit.

And for me personally, I couldn't afford that today. But if the Tesla share price does anything remotely what I expect it to do, plus another decade+ of continued growth in the portfolio, along with nobody else to leave the pile to -- why not spend a chunk of that pile on an amazing experience?

The lightning bolt is new enough that I find no trouble at all waiting - the idea is unreal. And yet ...

<head, spinning>

The lightning bolt is that I suddenly see line of sight to $1M tickets being available, with some reasonably achievable fitness standards, for people that want to go to space for more than an orbit of the Earth, but a whole lot less than making a career out of it. Just visit.
I think that the Polaris missions are not only laying a foundation for civilian crewed missions to Mars, they are also laying the foundation for space tourism well beyond what Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic are offering or will ever offer.

Like you, I can envision a future, maybe five years from now, where there will be a Starship version with seating for around 50 or so ”space tourists” who will get to do 5 or 10 orbits before returning. Prerequisites may be as basic as no major medical problems and an exam by a SpaceX flight surgeon. Ticket cost: $300,000. SpaceX profit per flight: $10,000,000. The market might support a flight a month.

By then there will be “space hotels”. Much more costly, but there’s a market for that.

Take my money, please!