Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch w/ Dragon: CRS-3 4/18/2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CRS-3 Update

Today’s launch has been scrubbed due to a Helium leak on Falcon 9’s first stage. A fix will be implemented by the next launch opportunity on Friday April 18, though weather on that date isn’t ideal. Check back here for updates.

I was thinking this launch could be one for the record books, but I'm starting to think the only record it will make is most launch delays of any rocket in history. Maybe I'll just check back in 6 months or so to see if it's launched yet. $&*$%&#$!!!!!!!

"The mission has been delayed some ten times" -- NASA "Good to Go"￾ to Support SpaceX Launch of Falcon 9 V1.1 with Dragon on CRS-3 Mission | Space Safety Magazine

Add 1 for today. Weather questionable for Friday. Should we go ahead and add 1 more for that too?

For me, being young enough that I wasn't around for going to the moon, this is the most anticipated (and highest anxiety) rocket launch ever. The delays are getting painful.

Okay, I'll quit ranting now.

Last edited:
CRS-3 Update

Today’s launch has been scrubbed due to a Helium leak on Falcon 9’s first stage. A fix will be implemented by the next launch opportunity on Friday April 18, though weather on that date isn’t ideal. Check back here for updates.
Changed the date in the thread title.

Aaagain. *sigh*

doug, do you get to donate again for a Friday launch?

If a launch is delayed by four days - such as in this case - is the rocket de-fueled, pulled back inside and in horizontal position? Some fraction thereof? Is this decided on a case-by-case?

If a launch is delayed by four days - such as in this case - is the rocket de-fueled, pulled back inside and in horizontal position? Some fraction thereof? Is this decided on a case-by-case?

I would be very surprised if the rocket wasn't pulled back in. Inside you can take apart sections, open up equipment bays, and make repairs as needed. Outside, that would be difficult to do and you are subject to weather.

SpaceX spoke on one of the launches about how they are trying to get the prep time (outside, horizontal, fueled) down to one hour. All these delays are getting them LOTS of practice.

SpaceX, NASA realign launch and EVA scenarios | NASASpaceFlight.com

Launch opportunity 1:
Launch opportunity on April 18 at 3:25 PM EDT
Rendezvous with the Station on April 20 with grapple at 7:14 AM EDT

Launch opportunity 2:
Launch opportunity on April 19th at 3:02 PM EDT
Rendezvous and grapple with the Station on April 22 (no grapple time given)

"Only a 40 percent chance of acceptable weather has been noted for the Friday attempt"

(It sounds like the failed MDM was one already on the ISS, not the one being sent up there).

doug, do you get to donate again for a Friday launch?
Nope, since that would be within a week. (I just donated last Friday for the Monday launch.) Also, my understanding was that if the Monday launch didn't happen the Stanford research team involved wouldn't try again for some time. So we may be done as far as CRS-3 is concerned.

Weather window opening up for Friday afternoon:

Untitled.jpg