Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the very least, they don’t know much about his history.

So did you come to that conclusion based solely on @Electroman’s headline misrepresentation? Or is your analysis of said article just THAT horribly misinformed? ;)

Anyway, for those actually interested in discussing a topic that could potentially impact Starlink rather than trying to distract away from what they thought was an anti-Elon article via a useless quibble over how people are always so mean to Elon:

This seems like its really going to come down to the FCC deciding whether SpaceX's argument against opening up 12ghz (which IMHO is a pretty fair "we were here first") is enough to outweigh the 'greater good' element of opening up that spectrum for broader terrestrial use. Its a complicated issue for sure, as one could contest that rejecting the 5G for 12GHz cartel in favor of ensuring Starlink's success/profitability actually serves the 'greater good' of closing the digital divide, at least in rural areas. The flip side of course is that the intended higher density population use case for Chuck and Mike's 12GhZ spectrum also serves the 'greater good'.

Looking to turn this into a Mexican Standoff, T-mobile seems to be posturing for an auction of the contested spectrum a-la the recent C-band bonanza rather than just letting Dish get away with opening up a lucrative space. Read their complainey memo here.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Long but pretty fair article on recent complaining back and forth between SpaceX and Blue/Amazon--its mostly of a "bring you up to speed on all the drama" type of thing, but a good read nonetheless as it fills in some holes that have been overlooked in more partisan analyses.

Warning that the article does include a dumb picture of Elon, a dumber picture of Jeff (redundancy in that statement noted), and an even dumberer picture of an actual(!!!) mural(!!!) of Cue Ball and his brother, what's-his-name.

Not unexpected, there's a new version of the starlink UT. Notably this one is smaller...basically half the area of the V1 dish. That's a smart move, as it effectively ~halves the parts list for the PCA and will certainly make a huge impact on unit cost.

There will be a requisite loss of antenna performance on the user side, but that's not to say users will actually see a degradation in service. Generally the impact will be wider beams and worse half angle performance, but generally both of those are less of an issue with more satellites in the sky.

Thank you all. I recall that it seemed that ability was coming soon once more satellites were up. I have a dish in NY but would love to take it up to the white mountains in the Summer to work remotely from summits.

Supposedly once you have a dish, but not before, you can change your service address. Do not change service address if you are on the waiting list.

That's what I figured, you are likely still in the same cell. Even if not in the main beam spot, signal margin could allow functionality.
Theoretically, the user terminal knows and reports its location so lower signal strength would not be logged as an anomaly.
No, definitely not in the same cell. The cell I’m in won’t accept a pre-order, not even for 2024.

The cell I’m using accepted my order, shipped in 3 weeks. It is still accepting pre-orders for 2022.

No, definitely not in the same cell. The cell I’m in won’t accept a pre-order, not even for 2024.

The cell I’m using accepted my order, shipped in 3 weeks. It is still accepting pre-orders for 2022.
Gotcha, then probably beam width still picks it up. Target is 40-55?km diameter at -3dB, but -6dB gets another 30%:
SmartSelect_20211115-210601_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Alternatively, your true location is in the cell footprint but not supported for some reason (like being marine) assuming the other was on mainland.

Jealous on the three weeks... still waiting for mine.