Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starlink speed test results are starting to leak - Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

I think when they release it they're going to artificially limit its capabilities and maximize the price to not present a threat to ISPs as they roll out their constellation. Minimize lobbying threat. Then once their constallation is at a tipping point (probably around the time Starship is up) they're gonna really flip the switch and start ravaging telcos globally. It's going to be disgusting. Ruthless. And beautiful to behold.
The satellite internet system will be fine for many people, but do take care that a single large solar event that hits our magnetosphere could destroy May of these satellites. If you have wired or fiber to your home the advise would be to keep it. People who do not have internet to their home are the better target users for satellite derived internet.
Stay Safe and be well

It really depends where you live. Those speeds are a lot worse than my current DSL connection and in developed countries gigabit is pretty standard now, with sub 10ms pings.

In really developed countries 10Gb is normal now, e.g. Japan.

But for backwaters and developing nations like the UK and US there are plenty of places where Starlink is competitive. It might actually help those countries as they won't have to spend their very limited resources trying to boost rural areas to usable speeds any more and can concentrate on bringing metropolitan areas into the last decade.

Waiting for my beta invite all the way over here in the Northeast. Not only is rural internet inadequately available for home-schooling, when the power goes out there is no intenet service, and when cellular towers are powerless there is severely reduced phone service. Islanding solar/battery powered rural homes can still have satellite internet when the grid goes down.

It really depends where you live. Those speeds are a lot worse than my current DSL connection and in developed countries gigabit is pretty standard now, with sub 10ms pings.

In really developed countries 10Gb is normal now, e.g. Japan.

But for backwaters and developing nations like the UK and US there are plenty of places where Starlink is competitive. It might actually help those countries as they won't have to spend their very limited resources trying to boost rural areas to usable speeds any more and can concentrate on bringing metropolitan areas into the last decade.

Where's my 'beautiful bit of sarcasm' button when I need it! That's awesome :)

No, it wouldn't. It would be great if they took people who'd most benefit from it first.
I don't see why they wouldn't include a few folks in dense areas just to cover a larger geographic area for testing. No harm in a few customers in large metropolitan cities, unless they share it with their entire building...

Waiting for my beta invite all the way over here in the Northeast. Not only is rural internet inadequately available for home-schooling, when the power goes out there is no intenet service, and when cellular towers are powerless there is severely reduced phone service. Islanding solar/battery- powered/generator-powered urban and rural homes can still have satellite internet when the grid goes down.

FTFY. :p

For People From Away, at least once per year a good number of people will lose power for more than 1 day due to storms that take down trees that take down power lines. Power lines aren't buried here and people are living in holes in a forest.

I live in a small city and haven't yet (quite) had a 24 hour outage in the 13 years I've been here, but 2 years ago a fall storm had many people without grid power for a week, including the next street over from me. The time of year meant trees were still heavy with foliage, the strength of the storm brought a lot of trees down, and a strong hurricane season meant that the utility wouldn't have been able to call on out-of-state workers to help with the repairs.

...but do take care that a single large solar event that hits our magnetosphere could destroy May of these satellites.

Well, sort of. There’s a pretty big spectrum between ‘destroy’ and ‘cause failures’, and while Starlink sats are likely to experience the latter (as will all sats) the former is pretty unlikely.

It is indeed true that we're ~at a solar low and CMEs are going to start increasing as the solar cycle starts to pick up.

But, even if you don't know what logic SpaceX is applying to their hardware design and operational parameters, its a very safe assumption that they're well aware of the space environment. This isn't really a revolutionary topic--the space industry has decades of experience dealing with the space environment. And...given the fact that SpaceX's approach to pretty much everything 'space' is more evolved/progressive/logic based than the rest of the space industry, its a pretty safe assumption that they're going to be better prepared to deal with the downside effects.

I don't see why they wouldn't include a few folks in dense areas just to cover a larger geographic area for testing. No harm in a few customers in large metropolitan cities, unless they share it with their entire building...

Some of the betas may be mobile, such as trucks or boats. They could travel into metropolitan areas. At this level of implementation they cannot afford to use any capacity for urban areas

Reactions: Pshattuck
It is meant for rural users that don't have access to good broadband. It is not meant for urban users for a variety of reasons.

I'm only referring to prioritizing beta testers, who are rural users. I live in the boondocks of Montana and own a Model X. I’d like to be one of the early beta testers, ahead of non-Tesla users. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not suggesting that anyone be excluded, other than locations that already have good broadband.

Reactions: doghousePVD
I'm only referring to prioritizing beta testers, who are rural users. I live in the boondocks of Montana and own a Model X. I’d like to be one of the early beta testers, ahead of non-Tesla users. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not suggesting that anyone be excluded, other than locations that already have good broadband.

The only reason you could be prioritized is that you're somebody who is likely to have money to spend on the product when it goes live, whatever the price is. Not because you are able and willing to buy a Model X.

For a test group, people should be prioritized based on how good a test case they are.