Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - IFT-3 - Starbase TX - Launch Thread and Post Launch Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Launch Date: March 14
Launch Window: 7:00 am CDT (9:00 am EST, 13:00 UTC)
Launch site: LC-1 - Starbase, Boca Chica Beach, Texas
Core Booster Recovery: Expended in Gulf with a landing burn
Starship Recovery: A controlled reentry through the atmosphere to a terminal velocity splashdown in the Indian Ocean
Booster: Super Heavy Booster 10
Starship: Starship 28
Mass: No mass simulator mentioned
Orbit: LEO-ish
Yearly Launch Number: 26

A SpaceX Super Heavy and Starship launch vehicle will launch on its third not quite orbital integrated flight test designated IFT-3. The mission will attempt to place Starship into a nearly orbital trajectory that will attempt a controlled reentry through the atmosphere to a terminal velocity splashdown in the Indian Ocean . The Super Heavy booster will attempt a landing burn in the the Gulf of Mexico where it will likely be destroyed. This is a further test of Stage 0, the booster, full power ascent, Max-Q, stage separation using the new hot staging, a booster stage test of a hard turn and boostback, full burn boost of Starship to space and sub LEO, Starship will do one partial orbit, simulate a de-orbit burn, test tiles and heating from atmospheric reentry, until it has a splashdown in the Indian Ocean.

It has also been determined that for this test flight there will be a fuel transfer test done on Starship for NASA's Tipping Part contract. The Starship will also test its payload bay door in zero-G for a test of future Starlink 2.0 deployments.

1709175047094.png

Last edited:

COUNTDOWN​

All times approximate
HR/MIN/SECEVENT
01:15:00SpaceX Flight Director conducts poll and verifies GO for propellant load
00:53:00Ship LOX (liquid oxygen) load underway
00:51:00Ship fuel (liquid methane) load underway
00:42:00Booster LOX load underway
00:41:00Booster fuel load underway
00:19:40Raptor begins engine chill on booster and ship
00:03:30Booster propellant load complete
00:02:50Ship propellant load complete
00:00:30SpaceX flight director verifies GO for launch
00:00:10Flame deflector activation
00:00:03Raptor ignition sequence begins
00:00:00Excitement guaranteed
Infographic detailing sequence of events for Starship's Third Flight Test

FLIGHT TEST TIMELINE​

All times are approximate
HR/MIN/SECEVENT
00:00:02Liftoff
00:00:52Max Q (moment of peak mechanical stress on the rocket)
00:02:42Booster MECO (most engines cut off)
00:02:44Hot-staging (Starship Raptor ignition and stage separation)
00:02:55Booster boostback burn startup
00:03:50Booster boostback burn shutdown
00:06:36Booster is transonic
00:06:46Booster landing burn startup
00:07:04Booster landing burn shutdown
00:08:35Starship engine cutoff

Well aargh! I'm going on vacation again from March 10th through the 24th. So I have posted a number of potential launches. Please add notes and various launch videos as needed in your posts, including this one. I will continue to update launch posts until the 10th.
And I have an event over 3/11-3/14 :( ... although there's a chance we'll finish up a day early...

Reactions: Grendal
Reactions: JB47394
I just ran across this site that summarizes the progress for the launch. It includes the status of the launch license, NOTMAR, TFR, and so on. It also lists pertinent road closures, including one on Monday, March 11.

Everyday Astronaut has a "checklist" up on his site as well that I have been using, but yours (NSF) is much easier/quicker to navigate to, and much more compact. Thanks for sharing the find!

I'm not sure that's quite "game on". Still no reports of a launch license. Perhaps they know via back channels, but the license site hasn't been updated yet. That's assuming that I'm watching the right list.

Sure... but I mean if they don't have it, they are really saying targeting getting launch approval before...

FAA just released the Indian Ocean splashdown report
https://www.faa.gov/media/76836

Reactions: ecarfan