Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Integrated Flight Test #2 - Starbase TX - Including Post Launch Dissection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, that has not been done. The plan is that Booster MECO (when “most engines cut off” according to SpaceX) will occur 3 seconds before the 3 Starship Raptor Vac engines ignite at which time stage separation will rapidly occur as the engine exhaust pushes against the staging ring cover and the booster decelerates and the ship accelerates as its engines throttle up.

That can only be tested in flight. If the Starship Raptor Vac engines were ignited with a Starship on a test stand with the hot staging ring under it all kinds of bad stuff would likely happen very rapidly because the staging ring would be fixed in place. The staging ring cover is likely not designed to take that kind of force. There is no reason to make it any stronger/heavier than it needs to be.
Yep, I know how it's supposed to work. Just curious as to why they haven't tested it. If it was NASA where every little thing takes a year and a billion dollars, then I get it. But it's SpaceX--stacking and test fires seem to happen almost as often as lunch.

I would have thought they would want to test it so they could measure assumptions that the heat shield really will protect the booster, or measure exactly how much of the heat shield will be ablated so that they can make it thicker, or thinner to save weight. Or verify that the presence of this thing doesn't provide enough back pressure to require a change in the finicky engine startup sequence?

Obviously I'm missing something: that they haven't tested it is probably a lack of interest, not lack of ability. As you point out the lit starship shouldn't be near that ring for very long, so maybe they can't do that short of a static fire? Or maybe this architecture is a one-off never to be used again and they don't care if it burns through? Or probably 100 other things I'm not thinking of.

I would have thought they would want to test it so they could measure assumptions that the heat shield really will protect the booster, or measure exactly how much of the heat shield will be ablated so that they can make it thicker, or thinner to save weight.
Hot ring is replacable, this flight will indicate if it is as least strong/thick enough.

Or verify that the presence of this thing doesn't provide enough back pressure to require a change in the finicky engine startup sequence?
65km is near vacuum, can't test that at sea level, especially with a fixed test plate. Also, what happens to ship/ test site if there is an issue?
Chamber pressure is so much higher than achievable backpressure, that shouldn't be an issue. Even flow separation is unlikely.

They may have done material tests at McGregor like with the shower plate.

65km is near vacuum, can't test that at sea level, especially with a fixed test plate. Also, what happens to ship/ test site if there is an issue?
Chamber pressure is so much higher than achievable backpressure, that shouldn't be an issue. Even flow separation is unlikely.

They may have done material tests at McGregor like with the shower plate.
Thanks, all good points.

Reactions: EVCollies
Yep, I know how it's supposed to work. Just curious as to why they haven't tested it. If it was NASA where every little thing takes a year and a billion dollars, then I get it. But it's SpaceX--stacking and test fires seem to happen almost as often as lunch.

I would have thought they would want to test it so they could measure assumptions that the heat shield really will protect the booster, or measure exactly how much of the heat shield will be ablated so that they can make it thicker, or thinner to save weight. Or verify that the presence of this thing doesn't provide enough back pressure to require a change in the finicky engine startup sequence?

Obviously I'm missing something: that they haven't tested it is probably a lack of interest, not lack of ability. As you point out the lit starship shouldn't be near that ring for very long, so maybe they can't do that short of a static fire? Or maybe this architecture is a one-off never to be used again and they don't care if it burns through? Or probably 100 other things I'm not thinking of.
They have tested the load bearing capability with the can crusher...

They have tested the load bearing capability with the can crusher...
Yes, but I think that was to verify that the hot staging ring could handle the compressive forces during ascent before stage sep, since it is more of a lattice structure and not a continuous piece of steel. But @TunaBug isn’t asking about that.
I would have thought they would want to test it so they could measure assumptions that the heat shield really will protect the booster, or measure exactly how much of the heat shield will be ablated so that they can make it thicker, or thinner to save weight.
While SpaceX surely knows a great deal about the steel the ring is made from, and probably knows a great deal about how it stands up when exposed to rocket exhaust at 1ATM, as @mongo pointed out:
65km is near vacuum, can't test that at sea level, especially with a fixed test plate.

Yes, but I think that was to verify that the hot staging ring could handle the compressive forces during ascent before stage sep, since it is more of a lattice structure and not a continuous piece of steel. But @TunaBug isn’t asking about that.

While SpaceX surely knows a great deal about the steel the ring is made from, and probably knows a great deal about how it stands up when exposed to rocket exhaust at 1ATM, as @mongo pointed out:
See above.

Reactions: ecarfan