Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX vs. Everyone - ULA, NG, Boeing, Lockheed, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BO trying to loft a commercial payload to “space” on New Sheppard. Failed: Blue Origin - New Shepard
Was this is supposed to be a launch to orbit (LEO)? If not, what is point of carrying any payload?

Is this the same rocket that carried a bunch of a folks up beyond troposphere and landed back? I get confused between New Glenn and New Shepard.

Last edited:
Was this is supposed to be a launch to orbit (LEO)? If not, what is point of carrying any payload?

Is this the same rocket that carried a bunch of a folks up beyond troposphere and landed back? I get confused between New Glenn and New Shepard.
New Glenn is BO's orbital rocket that they have factories for but is still in the design phase. Expect two to four more years before they even launch one. The engine for that rocket is the BE-4 which they haven't even gotten to ULA for their Vulcan rocket. It is years behind and ULA desperate for it. Vulcan will launch before New Glenn. If Vulcan starts being a reliable launcher with BO providing enough engines for it then I'd expect New Glenn to hit the pad within a year or two after that.

New Glenn is BO's orbital rocket that they have factories for but is still in the design phase. Expect two to four more years before they even launch one. The engine for that rocket is the BE-4 which they haven't even gotten to ULA for their Vulcan rocket. It is years behind and ULA desperate for it. Vulcan will launch before New Glenn. If Vulcan starts being a reliable launcher with BO providing enough engines for it then I'd expect New Glenn to hit the pad within a year or two after that.
ULA has a couple flight BE-4s

Yes. So I was wrong that they have gotten some over to ULA. Though flight engine means that BO is saying they are good enough for flight. I believe that ULA will be testing these engines but not launching them. That said, ULA is saying they will be launching a Vulcan sometime before the end of the year. That is aspirational. As we're seeing with SLS, it is quite common that there will be delays. I'd bet it actually launches in 2023 some time.

Yes. So I was wrong that they have gotten some over to ULA. Though flight engine means that BO is saying they are good enough for flight. I believe that ULA will be testing these engines but not launching them. That said, ULA is saying they will be launching a Vulcan sometime before the end of the year. That is aspirational. As we're seeing with SLS, it is quite common that there will be delays. I'd bet it actually launches in 2023 some time.
Those are the engines for the first flight (I think they had test articles earlier).

ULA has a couple flight BE-4s
Here is Eric Berger’s analysis of the current state of the BE-4.
…neither of these flight engines have yet been shipped from Texas to ULA's rocket factory in northern Alabama. There, ULA is eagerly awaiting the engines for pre-launch processing and installation onto the rocket.

In fact, the first flight engine had to be sent back to Blue Origin's production facilities in Kent, Washington, after a minor problem was found on the test stand. ULA's director of external communications, Jessica Rye, said the flight engine presently in Washington is expected to leave for Texas "shortly." She confirmed that the other flight engine is undergoing "final acceptance testing" in Texas before shipment to Alabama.

Engine is produced at Location A. And then sent to Location B for unit testing. Then sent to rocket factory owned by a different company in Location C for mating. Then the whole rocket is shipped to location D for launch testing.

If there any small issue in this process, rinse repeat from Location A.

Reactions: Grendal
Engine is produced at Location A. And then sent to Location B for unit testing. Then sent to rocket factory owned by a different company in Location C for mating. Then the whole rocket is shipped to location D for launch testing.

If there any small issue in this process, rinse repeat from Location A.

Minus step C, which is a function of ULA being a customer (and so is not part of the NG BE-4 flow), that’s basically the same process used by early/low volume Merlin/Raptor.

Reactions: Grendal

If you were around at the time of the Mercury program, it is easy to remember which is which. The first suborbital American astronaut human flight was Alan Shepard, and the first orbital American human flight was John Glenn.

Last edited: