Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else out there watching this live for the past hour ?

I've been sitting here in the UK watching the whole process of Dragon releasing from the ISS, descent with the chutes deployed and now bobbing about in the Pacific.

Moving stuff - its bringing back all sorts of very early memories in my head of watching the Gemini and Apollo splashdowns in the late 60's whilst sat on my Dads knee !!

.. just off to youtube to look them up for the first time in 45 yrs !!

Meanwhile I've got to say that Space X have made the entire mission look amazingly clockwork. One small step for the Dragon, one giant leap for private enterprise. Congratulations to Elon and all at SpaceX.

Model S in 3 weeks time will seem tame compared to this !

Last edited:
Wondering why there was no video feed from aboard Dragon itself either side of the communications blackout during reentry? That'd have made for more compelling viewing than the blotchy infrared imagery (commendable all the same)! I know there were cameras onboard that were used at the time of berthing with the ISS... is there a limited communications pipe that was ostensibly being used for telemetry data alone?!

Anyway, Mission Accomplished! Congrats, SpaceX (and NASA too)!

Watching the video has no interest for me. Based on the time stamps above, I guess I was reading a book while all this was happening. But the accomplishment is impressive. Congratulations to the whole SpaceX team! According to a news item on the web, a human could ride Dragon in 2015.

As Elon said in the ongoing briefing (interrupted briefly by a power outage at SpaceX!), hope this mission inspires a new generation of budding aerospace engineers to get into the commercial aerospace industry! He has just spoken of a tour of the country to show Dragon to students to inspire them!

After years of listening to naysayers beat down NASA on issues around budget, investing in space in general in troubled economic times and so on, and after Elon's/SpaceX's own travails as recently as 2008, it's good to see a success story such as this.

I do hope that we see tremendous progress in reaching Mars and beyond in the next 2-3 decades; my generation and after - who have been more obsessed with the relatively mundane stuff here on Earth - can't relate to 1969 at all.

In the ocean.

SpaceX-Dragon-in-Pacific-5-31-12-Credit-Michael-Altenhofen.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.