Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX's Rising Tide - Discussion of non-SpaceX launch companies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I like how they’ve got a new way of re-entering the atmosphere. TBH, SpaceX Starship design was in some ways kinda disappointing since it was just an upgraded Space Shuttle idea.
I know you are talking about the re-entry part, but I mean:

Atmospheric drag slowdown: Yes
Tiles: 50/50 (different material, different mounting)
Reusability: Different league
Articulating flap design: No
Stainless steel skin: No
Retro-propulsive landing: No

I think the last is what removes it from the "upgraded idea" category...Shuttle was a glider... Starship is a powered landing craft.

This mission, Crew-4, was the fourth operational mission flown by SpaceX for NASA. Earlier this month, the Crew-5 mission launched four astronauts to the space station, where they will remain for about six months. Including an initial demonstration mission in 2020, and two private spaceflights—Inspiration4 and Axiom-1—Crew Dragon has now carried 30 people into orbit.

In a little more than two years, SpaceX has surpassed the total number of astronauts launched into orbit by China, whose human spaceflight program dates back to 2003; and in the time Crew Dragon has been operational, it has exceeded even the Russian Soyuz vehicle in terms of the total number of people flown into space during that period.

A very successful launch of OneWeb satellites by ISRO today. All 36 satellites deployed in the intended orbit. Kudos to ISRO who were contacted only 3 months ago, and got this mission accomplished in such a short amount of time.

Last edited:
I admire what Relativity Space is trying to accomplish, but given they are likely at least two years away from having a viable F9 competitor vehicle their path to financial success looks extremely challenging. Their first version of the future Terran R vehicle will be expendable, then have a reusable 1st stage, then at some point be fully reusable.

I imagine where SpaceX will be in two or three years and I don’t see how companies like Relatively, which have yet to reach orbit, will be able to compete.

Reactions: scaesare

Very good news, hopefully the launch goes well. Hopefully they can get past the throwaway Terran-1 program and move on to Terran-R quickly (a la F1-->F9). As with any new rocket time will tell about their schedule aspirations (2024 for Terran-R...and FTR the same for Neutron...), but regardless its going to be good to get some new competition in the 5m space. F9 probably has some room to work between cost and price to remain competitive with them, though it's hard to imagine SS taking too many of the the 5m loads anytime soon. Maybe in 10 years?

Reactions: Grendal
2 news articles for Rocketlab:

The Vega rocket has had two launch failures before:

The Vega suffered two failures in three launches in 2019 and 2020. A 2019 Vega launch of the UAE’s Falcon Eye 1 imaging satellite failed because of a problem with the thermal protection system on part of the rocket’s second stage. A Vega launch in November 2020 failed when its Avum upper stage tumbled immediately after ignition because of what Arianespace later determined to be improperly connected cables.
Though prior to 2019 the Vega had 13 successful launches.

Reactions: Grendal
Vega and Vega C are different sized launch vehicles:
Vega_VegaC.jpg
Fkg4jcVWIAIE0G1.jpg