Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare wheel -- TPMS considerations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching but could not find any info on this.

I would like to get a spare wheel for my MS. Should I get it with or without TPMS? Will having a fifth TPMS sensor screw up anything? Will running a wheel without a TPMS sensor put the car in some sort of a limp home mode, disable autopilot, etc.? I am going on a long trip and would like to order the spare from TireRack today... Thanks!

I would not bother with the TPMS module in the spare. It will only be on your car temporarily until you get the main tire fixed, and indeed a 5th module could interfere with the other 4.

If you have the spare on, the car will give you a warning box about the TPMS module (it will think it has failed), but there will be no driving restrictions.

I would not bother with the TPMS module in the spare. It will only be on your car temporarily until you get the main tire fixed, and indeed a 5th module could interfere with the other 4.

If you have the spare on, the car will give you a warning box about the TPMS module (it will think it has failed), but there will be no driving restrictions.

Perfect, thanks a million!

I can confirm this. I had a flat recently and Tesla swapped the tire with one of their loaners. There was a small warning pasted on the display all the while, but otherwise everything worked just fine. Went away when they swapped back my fixed tire too.

I purchased a spare with the TPMS module which I carry on long trips. At the time of purchase, I asked the Tesla ranger if the fifth module would interfere with the other four. He said NO. When you put on a new tire, there is a process that must be completed that allows you car to recognize the new sensor. This process is described well in your owner's manual. Since the spare has not been through this process, then it does not interfere with the other four.

I purchased a spare with the TPMS module which I carry on long trips. At the time of purchase, I asked the Tesla ranger if the fifth module would interfere with the other four. He said NO. When you put on a new tire, there is a process that must be completed that allows you car to recognize the new sensor. This process is described well in your owner's manual. Since the spare has not been through this process, then it does not interfere with the other four.

If the 5th TPMS module has never been seen by the car, then that's true. The car won't recognize it until it's on one of the wheels and you do a "reset TPMS" in the menus.

However, once that TPMS module has been recognized in this way, then the "reset TPMS" procedure is not necessary for the car to recognize the module. The car will recognize it automatically when the module is near the wheel well sensor. The car can memorize up to 8 individual TPMS modules (2 sets of tires/wheels).

If you have summer and winter tire sets, this is convenient because once the 2nd set is put on for the first time and you do the "reset TPMS" procedure, from them on you do not need to re-do that procedure. Just swap wheel sets and drive, the other set of modules is picked up automatically within a few minutes.

This can be problematic for the 5th module if you're carrying a spare. If that module has been seen before, then the car could sense it and start reading it as a substitute for one of the other modules that's on a spinning wheel.